LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2012
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yes, I'm that much of a newbie :hammer: why doesn't all my new equipment come with directions?! My skimmer has an extra lid with a spout, so my assumption is that I hook the hose up to that guy. I have read through various posts that the hose needs filled with water. Assuming I have these points correct and there is nothing more to the assembly or anything, the part I am stuck on is on which setting do I put the valve on my sand filter? It is the multi-valve variety. I assume I can put it on the "Bypass to Waste" setting, but that means all my precious new water i just paid $350 for gets dumped in the yard, right? Besides, I am not sure I have everything I need in order to attach the backwash hose. If it makes a difference, what I need to vacuum is the sand the installers got on the filter. There also may be leaves down there too. Also, i have an automatic cleaner I would like to try using first before manually doing it, if that changes things. We can't get in it yet, and I have no deck yet. I'm 5 ft tall with 54" walls, so the manual beast seems impossible right now. My pump only has one speed, so there is no question there. Thanks, TFP!

You have the vacuum plate and fill with water first part right :)

Normal vacuuming should be done with the valve set to filter. Every now and then there are reasons to vacuum to waste, but they are rare and not worth talking about right now.

My hose has two similar but ultimately different ends. On end is fixed, the other end can rotate....the end piece will spin on the end of the hose. If you put the end that rotates in the skimmer it will suck in air and you'll never get it to work, the swivel/rotate end goes on the vacuum head....

Thanks all! I have it going!! :) I did try to fish out all that I could tell was leaves with the net, but any still down there will be caught in the filter basket, if that barracuda can get 'em.

Also, I hope it wasn't too confusing when I called the liner the filter. I'm going to blame it on this heat LOL we are lingering around the triple digit mark!

Southeastern Indiana, USA
27' x 4' 17,600gal AG round
1.5 HP 1 speed pump
22" Ecco sand filter

Yesterday was my first try at the manual vacuum. I actually just climbed in the pool and vacuumed. Thankfully. My hose would not stay attached to the vacuum head. The only way I could finish the job was to physically hold the hose down. Even then, I probably reattached the thing a dozen times. I wondered if this is common and if one of you had a trick for keeping it on, or if there is something I'm simply doing wrong. Thanks once again! :)

Southeastern Indiana, USA
27' x 4' 17,600gal AG round
1.5 HP 1 speed pump
22" Ecco sand filter

Good gravy, my guess is my hose, new out of the box yesterday, was delivered to me busted :( That is an easy enough fix.
e143c82d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi iSmile, :)
I use 2 of these for my vacuum hose:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... reId=10051
Connect one to the hose end to go on the skimmer cap/lid/plate whatever you want to call it. :?
Push it on and use 2 zip ties the hold it on tight just on the hose side so when you push it on the plate the rubber hose helps with holding it on and gives help in sealing.
I did the same thing for the hose end to the vacuum head, use 2 zip ties on the vacuum head body so it on tight, and then push in the clip end that snaps in the nipple until it clips in. Don't zip tie hose end so you can turn it to keep the hose from binding, this just keeps it from popping off.
I just let the leaves collect in the skimmer basket, if a ton of leaves... you might need to stop and clean basket through the vacuuming job.
I'll try to remember to take a couple of pic's of this, but pretty simple trick.

Chuck

Hey chuck, I thought I'd remind you about that offer to take pix next time you vacuum. I'm a visual learner and unable to wrap my noob brain around the parts and pieces. Even my new non-busted hose pops off the vacuum head constantly, so I'm banking on your little trick!

Sent from my iPhone

iSmile said:
Hey chuck, I thought I'd remind you about that offer to take pix next time you vacuum. I'm a visual learner and unable to wrap my noob brain around the parts and pieces. Even my new non-busted hose pops off the vacuum head constantly, so I'm banking on your little trick!

Sent from my iPhone
I have what looks like the same hose in your picture. Those cuffs should screw back on. I just make sure they're tight before vacuuming. Mine screw back on backwards. By backwards I mean they are reverse threaded (left handed) and tighten up the opposite way you would normally turn a normal fitting. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Is your fitting threaded?

I had tried re-threading it, without success, back when I discovered it, but since it was new, the pool store replaced it anyway. I assumed that the new hose would solve the problem, but the thing just hops off the vacuum and wants to float around the pool. Luckily manual vacuuming isn't a job I've attempted but 3 times all summer. Highly frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.