Looking for Variable speed pump with 1 1/2" fittings.

Apr 29, 2012
Pensacola, Fl
Since being informed by th Hayward tech. by the name of Derrick, that my 2 month old Ecostar VSP 3400 should not be run over 2000 rpm with 1 1/2" pipe leading into the 2" suction, I have decided I need to look for a VSP with 1 1/2" suction. Most I have seen have 2" suction. Does anyone know of a good VS pump with 1 1/2" suction and of course return fittings????? Please let me know.. TY in advance.

Personally I have tried to be satisfied with my 2 month old Hayward Ecostar VSP 3400 but now I have bearing noise and Derrick said it's because of the 1 1/2 plumbing.. Not to mention the constant air pocket that Hayward techs. say is not going away because of the plumbing mismatch.

Please, if you are fixing to get a new pump and have 1 1/2" plumbing beware of this problem, and I recommend to stick with like plumbing sizes.

MIKE

I would call again and see if you can get a different tech. In my experience, Hayward techs can be a bit spotty. Some know a lot and others very little. If it is true, then it really doesn't say much for the EcoStar because it should be able to tolerate smaller pipe.

Also, I know there are many others on this and other forums who have used both the EcoStar and Intelliflo on 1 1/2" without incidence.

But even if it were true, why not use 2" line between the pump and filter? The suction should not matter since it is on the pump basket.

Bearing noise does not have anything at all to do with pipe size. Run at low speed the pump should be very quiet. Run at relatively high speed you should expect some noise, but not the screech of bearing noise.

Your pump should be just fine with that plumbing. While I very much disagree with several of the details of what the tech said, the actual issues along those lines will be much the same with any variable speed pump. They all have 2" inlets/outlets and are all extremely powerful when run at full speed. That isn't a problem, you simply don't run them at full speed. Likewise, air in the pump strainer basket is extremely common on any variable speed pump run at low speed.

TY for the good information. I do find it had to believe the pump has bearing problems. And, the techs at Hayward are spotty. Maybe I got something inside the impeller, but I checked the inlet side and I also pulled the fan cover and check for foreign object; it was clear. I have a service call in and maybe they will remedy the situation.

Again thanks for the responses.. I don't have my pool profile set up yet and am not sure how. I see the profile icon but would like to put my pool configuration in it but it's not working for me. Hows it done??

Pool is rectangle 40X20 33, 000 gals s240 sand filter, in-line chlorine filter, 380 Polaris and Ecostar 3400 VSP.

Thanks lungs ; I still have the box . But, I am gonna wait for the repair guy - i guess and warranty service. Now i'm thinking about it I'd really want another model. Too bad there is not a VS pump with 1 1/2" fitting. What is up with that. I don't see many older pools with 2" pipes. When I 1st bought it speed 3 didn't work. Exchanged the controller with store I bought it at. Had a lot of rain 1 weekend and then the remote stop was halting the pump several times. I have the control mounted on the inside of the house. Guess the motor drive unit got wet. Anyway , no help from the store and tech service was closed, so I shorted the remote stop contacts and started the motor and it kept running. I'm not a satisfied customer to say the least.

mike_patrick said:
Too bad there is not a VS pump with 1 1/2" fitting. What is up with that.
Mainly because it shouldn't matter. Having a transition at the pump interface should not affect performance which is why it is so surprising that the Hayward tech said this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.