Strange filter behavior

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
When clean my inlet filter pressure is 10 psi and I usually backwash when it hits 16 psi. After backwashing I add 1.5 cups of DE to bring the pressure up to 11 psi. Several days ago the inlet pressure was up to 15 psi when the pump turned off for the day. The next morning when the pump came on the inlet pressure was 11 psi? I watched it off and on all day and the pressure slowly came up to 15 psi before the pump shut down after 8 hours. Next morning when the pump started the pressure was again 11 psi and came up to 15 after 8 hours before shutting down.

This scenario has been repeated 4 days in a row - pressure rises to 15 then after setting overnight it is 11 psi the next morning. The gauge is fairly new seems to be working. I believe the 11 psi number because the polaris 280 cleaner moves around like it is getting adequate flow. At 15 psi it moves much slower.

The filter seems to be working like it should because the water is clear as clean glass. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

This is probably a side effect of having DE in the filter. While the flow rate is uniform, the DE slowly settles down, spreads out, and starts collecting debris, which builds up into a dense mat that partially blocks the flow. But when the pump turns off, the DE and debris shifts around and regions develop with no DE and no debris. The next time the pump is turned on, the DE again slowly spreads out and covers up the entire surface of the sand.

The DE is the only thing I could think of, but I always add the DE to a 5 gal bucket of water then stir well and pour in about half - add more water, mix, and pour the remainder. So I should be getting a uniform coating, but maybe something happened the last time.

I just vacuumed up some fine deposits and the filter pressure came up 3 psi to 14 psi. I then shut off the pump and let it set for about an hour. When I turned the pump on the pressure was down to 11 psi. I should do a really good study and find out exactly what is happening. Maybe I could get a patent on the "Never Backwash Filter" LOL.

stev32k said:
I just vacuumed up some fine deposits and the filter pressure came up 3 psi to 14 psi. I then shut off the pump and let it set for about an hour. When I turned the pump on the pressure was down to 11 psi. I should do a really good study and find out exactly what is happening. Maybe I could get a patent on the "Never Backwash Filter" LOL.

That's called cartridge :) Although when they need cleaned with more than just a hose they can be a pain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.