Figuring TURNOVER rate/time

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
Is there an easy way to figure how long it takes for your pool water to make a complete turnover?

I know there are all sorts of charts and graphs but I need a quick idea.

Quick facts for me:

5,000 gal splasher type pool

1.0 hp spa pump

90 sqft Hayward Cartridge Filter

1 1/2 hoses and about 12 feet (counting all my connections)

duraleigh said:
Quick Guess.....don't know if the pump is a true 1HP...probably not....so figure 50-70gpm which will turn a 5000 gal pool in roughly 83 minutes.

Believe me, thats a QUICK guess!

Okay - then that QUICK guess would agree with my lack of math skills try at the charts and graphs. I was figuring it was about 90 minutes or about 1 and 1/2 hours.

So, technically, I could get away with 3 hours of running the pump everyday with my little aboveground pool. However, I usually try for 4 to 6 hours just because that much more filtering time keeps the water that much more clear and clean. I remember reading somewhere that longer would be better for that reason, (and I think I ran into trouble one year because I was keeping it just to 3 hours (and probably not even that long - and not daily.) I just thought 90 minutes was kinda sort amount of time and I didn't want to be cutting it too short.

Thanks!!!

There are multiple reasons for having circulation in the pool. The turnover rate determines how much water goes through the filter per unit time so this is to keep the water clear by removing consolidated solids a bit faster than they are introduced, on average.

However, circulation is also required to prevent localized dead spots where chlorine can get used up by nascent algae growth or by sunlight breaking down chlorine. So it is better to split up your turnover time across the day -- at least in two sections if the pump isn't on very long as is your case. You can run the pump part of the time during the day and part of the time at night -- probably a little longer during the day due to sunlight.

Richard

chem geek said:
There are multiple reasons for having circulation in the pool. The turnover rate determines how much water goes through the filter per unit time so this is to keep the water clear by removing consolidated solids a bit faster than they are introduced, on average.

However, circulation is also required to prevent localized dead spots where chlorine can get used up by nascent algae growth or by sunlight breaking down chlorine. So it is better to split up your turnover time across the day -- at least in two sections if the pump isn't on very long as is your case. You can run the pump part of the time during the day and part of the time at night -- probably a little longer during the day due to sunlight.

Richard

Thanks CHEM GEEK!

That's all good to know.

In the summer, I also keep the pump on when we're actually IN the pool (that can be hours at a time) and usually for a bit just before people get in and about an hour or so after everyone get's out!

Thanks!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.