Overshot CYA

Well....if the pool is otherwise clear, it can be maintained with CYA that high. I've done it myself, due to water restrictions in place at the time.

You'll need to maintain a higher than usual FC level. Total demand won't increase, just the minimum level. And that also depends on whether you use bleach or a SWG.

If somehow you get algae, you're going to be in a world of hurt, because you'll be needing bleach by the barrel to clear it with CYA that high.

It is a SWG Vinyl IGP. Right now other prams are:

FC - 9
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 70
CH - 90
Borates -50
Salt -3400

My Super Chlorinate went a bit higher in PPM than I thought, hence the 9ppm of FC. I really don't want it that high. Water is crystal clear.

I tested all numbers with Taylor kit and the had pool store verify CYA with both An older Lamotte test system and the new Spin Photometer. Both verified CYA.

thadius65 said:
It is a SWG Vinyl IGP. Right now other prams are:

FC - 9
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 70
CH - 90
Borates -50
Salt -3400

My Super Chlorinate went a bit higher in PPM than I thought, hence the 9ppm of FC. I really don't want it that high. Water is crystal clear.

I tested all numbers with Taylor kit and the had pool store verify CYA with both An older Lamotte test system and the new Spin Photometer. Both verified CYA.
Just turn down the SWG. Pool Calculator says 5 to 13 for that CYA level, so you're fine.

Actually, you do want your FC that high. With your CYA so high FC must be maintained MUCH higher than if your CYA was at the proper level.....look it up in the chart in Pool School.

Let me also say that Richard320 is a meticulous pool manager and has a complete grasp of his pool and the methods by which to control it. Managing a pool with CYA as high as yours is not at all easy. I would strongly urge you to lower it.

Secondly, pool store testing verifies virtually nothing....regardless of technology.

You should always trust your own testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.