Robertshaw 700-511 Millivolt gas valve help!

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
I have the 700-511 gas valve which is the Universal replacement for my Teledyne Laars Series 2 Heater.

The valve looks exactly the same as the old valve and connects exactly the same, specs the same, etc.....
Only one problem there is an extra gas outlet, with a 1/4" brass connector, that does not appear on any of the drawings.
When the valve is connected it behaves like the pilot (pushing the control down in the pilot position allows gas to flow through this outlet).
There is already a pilot connection on the front.

Can I simply plug this unneeded port? What is it supposed to be used for? and finally - Why is it not mentioned or shown in any of the instructions ?

Thanks

I am going to suggest you have a certified technician install your gas valve. I am all for fixing things yourself but gas valves are too important and if they fail or are installed incorrectly, it can be catastrophic.

I worked with HVAC and heaters for 10 years.

What model of Lite 2 do you have? Your Laars Lite 2 is probably not a millivolt heater and the gas valve, although a direct replacement, can be used in several replacements. I've used them before and just plugged the hole. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then find a valve for the heater you have.

http://www.parts4heating.com/Teledyne-L ... s-s/38.htm

A word of caution: When working with gas and other things you really might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. I recently looked at a burned up heater at a customers house and found out he tried to trouble shoot it. He said he's not sure what he did but the unit caught fire. The unit is now toast and is being replaced. I'm only providing you with help but in many cases you need to hire someone. I realize people are all about saving money but lives are priceless!

It is an ESG SERIES 2. It is a millivolt system.
Everything is the same on both valves with the exception of this port which is on the back.
same inlet, outlet, pilot tube connection, terminal block, coil. Same btu rating. Same millivolt rating, same psi rating. Listed as the replacement for the current valve.

I checked the installation literature and the part diagram does not show this port.
I double checked the label on the valve to make sure it was the right one in the package.. it is.
Just thought I'd ask here before sending it back in case it is just a duplicate pilot connection in a different location.

Thanks

When you compare the old valve to the new one...What is in the location of the second port on the old one. It is possible that this is a universal replacement with dual pilot ports, but I would have thought that there would have been some literature indicating this as well as a plug provided. I do recall years ago coming across this and it had all the warning stickers you could ever want plastered all over it warning of the need to use the provided plug to close off the unused hole. I do not recall the brand valve though. Do you have any pictures you could post of both valves? It would be nice documentation should anyone else ever come across this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.