Wrestling with SWG question for AG pool

May 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
Newbie here, hello all--

Despite having lurked here for quite a while (meaning I should know better), my husband and I fell for the pool store package deal. I hope you guys can tell me all is not lost. We are awaiting install probably late next week (July 5 or 6). We did get the AquaSmarte system as part of the package, and we have decided not to install this.
Which leaves us with a decision between the liquid chlorine, etc. (BBB) maintenance, or an SWG. We bought this pool at Watson's, where the sales guy said abruptly, "salt water generators void the warranty." I called again today (anonymously) and asked if they sell the SWG's for AG pools and the guy (who I believe was our salesman) said "No." I asked if he knew where they sold them in our town, and he said "No. Almost no one sells them." I asked why they were bad for AG pools, and he said corrosion, and then added "the high level of chlorine they produce is bad." I was suspicious of that part.

Anyway, we have definitely read of the corrosion issue, but the only thing I could find online re: warranty on this pool (the box hasn't been opened so we haven't yet seen what manual is inside) just says it won't cover things related to chemical issues -- but that to me means salt AND chlorine. The pool is Cascade model, Asahi.

Meanwhile, Leslie's in our area sells the Intex SWG, and they happily sell and promote them to their customers to whom they sell their AG pools.

I want to justify an SWG, but I really want to know if I'm nuts for doing so. Thanks!

I'm waiting to hear back from Asahi, but in the meantime, can someone recommend an economical SWG for me? One pool store sold only the Intex, and the guy said it was good up to 20,000 gallons, but I really can't see that anywhere in the literature. Also, if we went with Intex, would that be compatible with our pump system? Thanks!

I never heard back from the pool manufacturer (Asahi/Mighty Sun), but the warranty in the pool box specifically mentions saltwater -- "any use of" -- voiding the warranty. I really want to use it, but it's hard to take that step after a purchase like this.

Does the warranty mean "salt water" as in the ocean... or using a "salt water generator" to create chlorine. I can see that the pool maker doesn't warrant against making a small ocean in you pool but SWG should be a permitted option. I would call the customer service line and ask.

I would love to take it that way, techguy, but it really says "any use of saltwater," which probably could even extend to adding salt to your water just to make it feel better. We are going to just forget the SWG for now and stick with the BBB.

First, don't beat yourself up about the pool package :) That's what we did too, and having priced things online as well it's really not that far off what we could have done buying everything individually. Having it all bundled just made it easy.

I'd suggest doing the BBB manually first -- the biggest thing I've learned by doing so in the whole 2 weeks the pool has been here is that I'm in control and specifically what needs to be done to affect certain parameters. All the SWG does is generate the chlorine, BUT I think that I wouldn't be as diligent about monitoring things if I knew the chlorine is going in steady. I think this is great once you 'get to know' your pool, but I'm glad to be doing it manually now just to learn.

Our pool is made by Trendium and their warranty stated that any corrosion to steel wasn't covered if saltwater generator is used. Our pool happens to have resin rails and aluminum walls... that said, the risk in my opinion is pretty small though I understand not wanting to void a warranty. When you consider how little salt is in a salt chlorine generated pool... well, it's miniscule compared to ocean water! Bleach adds salt to the water too... they don't void for that? I think it's good you are taking the time to research it!

Welcome to the pool party :)

So the warranty didn't include corrosion of resin and aluminum parts? I guess you are pretty safe there, they don't rust. I would say you should not need to worry about the warranty of a metal panel turned into a wall. The manufacturer of the pool likely didn't make the liner, ladder, hoses, fittings, pump, or filter either so they are likely covered by their own warranty.

One thing I didn't understand when I bought my pool, and do now, is the the pool maker makes the walls, bottom track, uprights and top seat. Everything else related to the pool was selected by the dealer, website, or purchaser and is not subject to ( or covered by) the pool "manufacturer" warranty. Besides that any item covered by the warranty is likely to be prorated based on the number of years since it was installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exactly techguy! Essentially, I worried about a pool warranty when the bottom line is that the pool is probably the least likely thing to have problems. The motor on the pump on the other hand is noisy and I've been trying to get them back out to deal with it. Pretty sure it's a standard 1 yr warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.