Pump noise - what is normal?

mnormington

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Burbank, IL
I just finished installing my AG pool and my filter system. Finally got all the leaks out of the pipes and everything is working just fine. Building up stabilizer levels and keeping it chlorinated is working out OK thanks to this forum. Pics of my cool new pool will be forthcoming in a new thread when the grass grows back!

BTW - I'm a total noob at this... (so don't laugh, I'll hear you) :-D

My pump makes noise. Not a lot of noise, but noise. It makes the pump with water going through it noise that I expect (not loud at all), but there is a whining noise that isn't loud but you can hear it as much as the pump noise. I don't know if the whining noise is normal. It's a Pentair whisper-Flo 1/2 HP pump. Can someone tell me if this noise is normal or do I need to have it looked at?

muss08 said:
A whining (high pitched) noise is not a good sign. Usually points to a bearing issue. Is there any leaks near the rotating shaft on the pump?

Nope. No leaks whatsoever. What you said is what I was thinking.

The only issue I had is that I couldn't get the thing to stop leaking around the outlet unless I cranked the heck out of the pipe going into it. It says not to do that but I really couldn't find another way to make it seal. I used a TON of teflon tape on it too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.