Advice on a SWG

Apr 25, 2008
San Carlos Mexico
Hello all

I am new to the forum and would like to say hello and ask for some input on which SWG to opt for. I am torn between the Pool Pilot digital and the Aqua Rite. I am rebuilding a system with an intelliflo, and a Pentair quad 80. Pool is a 30,000 gals, pebble tec with a water feature and no spa. Pool is in AZ and I have a PH of 7.4 I have not measured my CYA but I would bet it is off the chart as I use tri-color and it has a good appetite for them. I will be measuring the rest when the test kit arrives tomorrow.

My concern about the Aqua Rite is capacity of 40K gals. Being full sun all the time I wonder if I am going to be up against its capacity. Where as the Pool Pilot says 50Kgals.

Other than price is there any apreciable differences that I should consider?

Thanks in advance Great forum!

Welcome to TFP!

The Pool Pilot Digital has a wonderful text display that tells you helpful things, like how much salt to add and what the water temperature is.

A 40K gallon cell with a 30K gallon pool should be fine unless you only run your pump for a fairly short period of time each day. 4 hours of pump run time a day might cause problems, but 8 or more would be fine. It is always nice to have a larger cell, but it is hardly essential.

Thanks Jason

For estimating purposes using 100gpm we are looking @ a 5hr turnover. I would hate to be up against the swg production capacity. Would you say the Pool pilot 60 will out produce the Aqua Rite 40K unit? Also can you put the Aqua rite cells in series for increased output? Or do you need to have a controller for each cell.

Thanks for your time

You are getting an IntelliFlo. That means you can control the pump speed. You want the pump to run at as low a speed as possible that will still give enough flow for the SWG. Unless you are going to run the water feature all the time?

The large PoolPilot cell will produce more chlorine per unit time than the AquaRite.

To run two cells you either need two controllers or a controller specifically designed to run more than one cell (which none of the residential units have but some of the commercial models do).

Attachments

• mypoolgallons copy.pdf
    241.1 KB · Views: 1
Our pool is pretty close to 40K gallons. We have the Aqua Rite 40K cell and I have no problems maintaining adequate FC. I have not run it over 40% yet. I am running a FC of about 8 right now at 30%. I do run the pump/filter 24/7 though. I have been very happy with it. Our pool is full sun all day long also...not a tree in sight.

I am in the same boat as you. I have been analyzing my set up and asking lots of questions. I have found that the system sizing calculations (and all the variables) are way more involved than just the amount of total gallons in your pool. Such things as pool temp (higher average temps means quicker chlorine breakdown), pump run time (shorter amount of time means less chlorine production) and number of swimmers (more swimmers means more dirt and need for more chlorine) can mean as much as total gallons. Another issue for me, is that if you buy a cell sized to your pool and run it to meet the basic needs for sanitation, you probably will find that the the cell has to run at 100% and/or you will have to run the filter longer to meet the basic requirements. In any case, the cell may be taxed and have a shorter life span if you just buy a cell based on your pools gallons without considering the whole picture.

I have been working with Curt at www.saltwater-poolsystems.com and have been very happy.

Such things as pool temp (higher average temps means quicker chlorine breakdown), pump run time (shorter amount of time means less chlorine production) and number of swimmers (more swimmers means more dirt and need for more chlorine) can mean as much as total gallons. Another issue for me, is that if you buy a cell sized to your pool and run it to meet the basic needs for sanitation, you probably will find that the the cell has to run at 100% and/or you will have to run the filter longer to meet the basic requirements.

Like I said, we are at the upper limits per gallons on our Aquarite cell. I run the pool with a heat pump to at least 88, and most times 90 degrees, the whole season. We have 6 kids and with their friends we normally run a pretty heavy swimmer load. Heck, just with my kids most people would say that is a heavy swimmer load! LOL!! Our pool is full sun ALL day long and I have yet to have to run the cell anywhere close to 100% to meet my sanitation needs. I have never been over 40%, in fact. Granted, I do run our filter 24/7 but I can't get the hubby to agree to less right now. He is paranoid about the water not staying sparkly and clean.

My point exactly regarding pump run time. My PB told me with an indoor pool I would need less than 12 hours run time. I had problems with a lower time, so I agree with your husband. I currently have mine set to 16 hours and am afraid to go lower. But, 24 hours produces a lot of chlorine vs someone running 12 hours or so. Also, you are fortunate to only require 40%. That will lengtghen your cell life despite 24/7.

PS In Wisconsin, my wife (ok so do I) thinks that 88 is still pretty chilly. We usually shoot for low 90's especially in the winter.

Another thing to look for is how the SWG's are rated. For example we rate our SWG's based on 8 hr/day run time and Australian climate.

Consequently if you run it 24/7 you can install it on a pool 3 times bigger than what we recommend. And our distributors in Europe recommend them for pools double the size we do, just because of a climate difference.

So if there is a difference between Autopilot and Aquarite rating methodologies you'll find that 30k gallon cell might in fact produce more chlorine than 50k gallon one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strannik: That is the real issue and I must be blind as I did not see how many hours of run constitute their ratings claims. Since they use the term daily I have to assume they mean 24hr period at max output.

I am opting for the auto pilot sc 60 based on chlorine production. Seems to me I should want to have the ability to increase production and decrease run time. Also if it turns out I have a large demand I would like to think I do not have to run the system simply for the purpose of chlorine production.

It appears they will both put out more than enough. Sometimes more is not better but in this case, with the stresses of the AZ climate on chlorine I think this might be a better fit.

I have not written the check yet so if there is any flaws in my thinking now would be a good time to voice them. :-D

Thanks to you all!!

I would think that pump run time is the key to sizing a SWG. As far as cell life, does it make a difference if you run the pump for 8 hours and swg at 30% AS if running the pump 16 hrs at 15%? I would think that you need to figure out how long you are going to run the pump and determine how much CL you would need and start from there. When I was looking into a SWG I knew my run time was 12-14 hrs due to filtering on low speed so I did not need that big of a SWG. Wouldn't it be more econimical to not oversiz a SWG?

JCJR

I would agree with you if the price difference was more than it is. It appears there is less than a $100 between the 40k and the 50k cells. To me going with the 50K cell allows me to shorten run time if i desire. The 40K cell may offer a similar option, although the daily output is approx. 25% less than the 50k. So to reach the same output I would run the 40K 25% more than the 50K to achieve the same output.

Granted it may never be an issue because I may chose to run the system 12hrs or more, but if I don't the extra $75 seems like a small price for the added flexibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.