Phos free

May 25, 2012
This is the first year that we have used the BBB method. Before this year, we were letting the pool store tell us what to do and it became quite costly! My husband is having a hard time separating from the pool store (the real truth is he is having a hard time admitting I was right about them)! He went in yesterday and bought phos free. We have has phosphates in our pool in the past. From what I have been reading, it seems that we probably do not want to add the phos free that he bought but instead properly shock the pool. The pool store had us adding 3 jugs of chlorine one time per week for the shock process and we never had any stabilizer!!! So, long story short, should we use phos free?

mdpennin:

Using phos free (or any phosphate remover) will not hurt anything except for your wallet. Phosphates are a non-issue as long as you maintain proper FC levels according to your CYA level (see Chlorine / CYA Chart in my sig). I am aware of people with phosphate levels of 1,000 + ppm and never have algae because they maintain proper FC levels.

Back when I was "pool stored," I too bought in on the Phos Free. No more. If I remember right that gallon bottle is like $40. I am sure they are making about $35 on the bottle. Have not used it for almost two years with BBB and the pool looks better than ever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.