Leak emergency - 1" per hour

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
I removed a return eyeball that is an inpool chair last night. It always seemed off/misthreaded and was very difficult to remove but I screwed it back in. Pool company opened my pool, so looks like they misthreaded it. Well now I'm losing close to if not more than an inch of water per hour. Good news is I know exactly where it is. It's in the female threaded portion of that return, almost like it's cracked very close to the edge closest to the water. When I turn the pump off and remove the eyeball you can HEAR the water rushing out.

I'm desperately calling to have repair come out but are there any countermeasures? Shut off that return and cover with plastic grocery bags? I tried putting a winterizing plug but it simply won't threat right because of the cracked female portion. Tape bags over it somehow?

Any help would be much appreciated. Right now pump is off because I've got that winter plug in, there's two returns in the chair system - two chairs.

Leak emergency - 1" per hour

You could try to fix it yourself. Is the fitting a standard 1 1/2 in threaded fitting with the hose barbs? If so you could see if local above ground pool store, or even Leslie's, stocks the fitting. It screws into the part that has the larger nut that holds the return to the pool. Or even a whole new eyeball return assembly. I got one at my LPS for about $10'

Or even a threaded 90 at Home depot but that's less likely.

You can try holding a bowl over the fitting to see if it slows the leak.

Re: Leak emergency - 1

techguy said:
You could try to fix it yourself. Is the fitting a standard 1 1/2 in threaded fitting with the hose barbs? If so you could see if local above ground pool store, or even Leslie's, stocks the fitting. It screws into the part that has the larger nut that holds the return to the pool. Or even a whole new eyeball return assembly. I got one at my LPS for about $10'

Or even a threaded 90 at Home depot but that's less likely.

You can try holding a bowl over the fitting to see if it slows the leak.

Thanks, it's the female thread that you screw a closing plug into. Can't really see a way to remove that.

I'm off to the store - that expandable closing plug looks like a good idea.

Sorry, I can't see your signature when I read (in tapatalk in mt iPad) and that you had an in-ground pool. Different access when the dirt and concrete are in the way of the outside of the pool wall. LOL

Good news is my temp countermeasure seems to be holding.

Bad news is pool store says they have to bust through concrete cool deck to replace the female threaded portion to perm fix. Wife will not be happy without her pool chair jets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.