New Pool Owner--Need Heater help

RJS3

Apr 28, 2008
Upstate NY
New to the list. Great information.
I live in upstate NY and bought a house with a 27,000 gal. pool with a 12 year old Tropic Isle Heater (natural gas). I'm told these were, at one time, great heaters. My first season last year I had to hit the gas valve with a hammer every time I wanted to crank it up. I think it's time for something new and I have no idea what to get. Every pool store carries a different brand (Hayward, Pentair, Sta-rite, Laars) and they all claim theirs is the greatest since sliced bread.

I think I have decided to go with natural gas as opposed to a Heat Pump (perhaps I'm crazy given the gas prices) and I am looking at a Sta-rite Maxitherm (200,000BTU) or perhaps a Pentair Minimax, which is a little cheaper and uses a milivolt generator (which is what the Tropic Isle uses). My view is that the fewer bells and whistles (meaning sensitive electronics) means fewer possible equipment failures. The sta-rite needs electrical connection I believe, but seems to have a good reputation. I can do the electrical work, but the Pentair would be an easier install.

In the end, Sta-rite, Pentair, Hayward all seem to come up as good heaters generally. Is it a toss up, or is there some consensus about what will last the longest with minimum repairs.

Many thanks

We have a heat pump on our pool. It does not work below about 50 degrees. Being in NY I would probably not go with the heat pump if you wanted to use it to extend your season. We can get our swimming season from mid April to late October with it but we are in the South. It did take about 2 days to get our pool from 68 up to about 88, which is where it is now. Gas heaters are much faster I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.