new pool help

Jun 16, 2012
Our pool has been up for about 2 weeks now, and it seems like it is using a lot of chlorine. It is a 12x24 4ft deep. I guess about 6400 gals. It has been shocked when we first set it up, but seems the chlorine disappears rapidly.
We havn't had any algae blooms, but I am getting worried that it may.
I test with strips, so I can't tell exactly the stats but here they are after adding enough bleach for ppm of 7
FC: 5+
pH: ~7.8
TA: 220+
CYA: between 30-50

Also how long does it usually take for TA to lower using the muriatic acid technique? And does this affect the chlorine significantly?
I am going to test again first thing in the morning as i added bleach at night.

The lowering TA process takes time. Lowering TA has no particular effect on chlorine.

Most likely your CYA level is lower than you think it is. Test strips are especially bad at measuring the CYA level.

the cya was added via using Dichlor and Trichlor tabs for the first weeks, now I am switching to Bleach. Also i tested the water this morning before sunlight, and it reads about 4 ppm of FC.

If the water was clean when it went in and you've been holding FC up in that 4 to 7 range I'd say an algae bloom is unlikely.

The most likely sources of "extra" chlorine loss are either low CYA - losing it to the sun or high bather load - it's a smallish pool so a little bather waste goes a long way.

If you can estimate how much dichlor and how many tabs you can get a fair idea of the exact CYA number. Any estimate on how many ppm of chlorine you loose per day? 2-3ppm would be totally normal.

I'll have to test, but when i retested tonight, of course there was a lot of people in the pool today and it has been about 100 outside consistantly it read 0ppm of fc.
Should I increase the CYA to account for the hot climate and bathing load?
Also should I go ahead and shock the pool a good time to make sure it is good?

If your FC is zero it is not very safe for people to be in it. And will likely turn cloudy and/or green in the near future.

You need to get a good test kit. Check the CYA. And then go through the shock process as described in pool school.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

no_Wedge said:
what would cause it to consume so much FC? Is it because there is a biological outbreak starting?

Lots of people, sweat, too much sunscreen, grass on feet getting in the pool, dogs seem to consume a lot of Fc, due to oily hair and dirt I guess. Then, hidden algae on covers, lights, ladders.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what would cause it to consume so much FC? Is it because there is a biological outbreak starting?
Possibly....hard to tell The important thing is to get FC in the pool and keep FC in the pool regardless of the cause of it disappearing.

Of course I have an agenda in that I sell test kits but you simply cannot accurately manage pool water chemistry with test strips. You are simply guessing at where your levels may be and the test strips don't improve on that much.

You are correct, don't waste your time trying an OCLT with strips....you can only do that with an FAS/DPD test.

Shocking your pool correctly is tough as well but you can give it a try with the guess strips if you like. However, don't waste your time again by throwing in "shock" that you buy at the Pool Store.....that is not shocking your pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then read "How to Shock Your Pool".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.