New Pool Owner needs DESPERATE HELP

Jun 29, 2012
ok, i purchased HTH pool salt from walmart and it says that it treats up to 20,000 gallons. my pool is only 5,061 gallons (16ftx48in).....im confused as to why the salt would say that and then the instruction manual says i need 125lbs of salt for my size pool....what is going on??? I'm new to all of this. I have no idea what pool school is i have just read the instructions everything is connected and ready to go i just need to know how much salt i need and what other chemicals i need for the other levels.....my pool currently looks swampy it definitely has algae...should i empty it out and refill it? or is there a way i can save it? I'm super lost...

Pool School is the button at the upper right of the page.

What are you trying to accomplish with the salt?
A full set of test results would help us help you.

If you pool is in fact swampy, there is no reason to mess with the salt until you have completed the shock PROCESS. Here are some articles from Pool School about that process. If anything in there does not make sense, other articles in Pool School may clear it up ... or ask questions.
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

ok thanks ill look into all that you've told me......im trying to clean the pool and also learn how to properly care for it....i have a Krystal clear salt water system and idk if the HTH salt 3 in 1 start up is actually able to clean my whole pool since it cleans 20,000

Personally, I would return the salt your bought (sounds like it has other chemicals in it)? And just stick with individual products ... much less confusing if you are only adding what you want to adjust and not affecting other things.

You will need some stabilizer/conditioner to protect the FC from the sun.
Either muriatic acid or borax to adjust pH
Maybe baking soda to adjust TA
And a LOT of liquid chlorine (bleach) to raise the FC while shocking.

When the shock process is done. You will raise the CYA a little higher, add salt (cheap solar salt from HD/Lowes), and get your SWG running.

All this is covered in Pool School. Start at the top to get a feel for the different chemicals and what they do. It will take a few times through to start to get it.

I would recommend that you order one of the recommended test kits (see my signature) sooner rather than later so that you have it available for the shock process.

Ok wow thanks for your help ill save all the info so i know what to buy. I emptied the pool to clean it thoroughly and i asked my mother to buy morton pool salt but instead she bought morton salt pellets (the specific name is System Saver Pellets II). Will this work or should I go return it and buy salt in grain? Thanks again sorry to be a bother.

RoyManPR said:
Ok wow thanks for your help ill save all the info so i know what to buy. I emptied the pool to clean it thoroughly and i asked my mother to buy morton pool salt but instead she bought morton salt pellets (the specific name is System Saver Pellets II). Will this work or should I go return it and buy salt in grain? Thanks again sorry to be a bother.
I wouldn't

I just googled it and
Morton® System Saver® II Pellets contain a patented, water-soluble resin cleaning additive.
I don't know what that is, and I wouldn't put it in my pool just for that reason.

I have bought a different type of salt now. Morton Pool Salt is what it says i have added the salt into the pool and it still looks clear I plan to start my filter today at a later time. How many hours should I put? Is it fine if I do not add any other chemicals yet? Sorry I seem to be so dense :/ I've been worrying about my financial situation for college (I'm 18 yrs of age soon to be college freshman). I am buying the baking soda and chlorine but will that affect the ability to open they eyes under water? (I know it may sound childish but that is the main reason my mother wants a salt pool. My younger sister claims salt pools don't hurt your eyes when you open them.) And where can I get muriatic acid and borax?.....Once again thanks for the help and sorry for the bother.

You can get both Borax and Muriatic Acid (MA) at a walMart. The borax is on the laundry aisle in a light green box. 20 MuleTeam is the brand. MA is normally stocked in either Toys with the pool items or near garden with the rest of pool chemicals. They split hem as certain items must be stocked a certain number of feet away from the other.

RoyManPR,

Hold on. Do not go buy all that stuff because you don't know if you need it or not. Your first step should be to take a VERY deep breath, sit down and start to read Pool School. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" first and then start to ask questions.

Salt will not fix your pool.....chlorine will fix your pool and you have apparently not put any in and certainly not asked any questions about it.

You have also not reported ANY test results to us so we have no idea what your pool needs, if anything. Do you have at least the ability to test pH and chlorine?

Ok I read the pool school things and wow that helped haha. I now understand the words that you were using as they seemed alien to me. Where can I buy the Test Kits so that I may post results? I don't know of any equipment that we bought that may have the ability to test the water for all the areas of chemicals that you require.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RoyManPR said:
Ok I read the pool school things and wow that helped haha. I now understand the words that you were using as they seemed alien to me. Where can I buy the Test Kits so that I may post results? I don't know of any equipment that we bought that may have the ability to test the water for all the areas of chemicals that you require.

Hi RoyManPR and welcome to TFP! :)

FAS-DPD kits are hard to find in stores, go online here:
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
or west coast here:
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... TF-100.htm

Read, read and read here, this site is free and WILL give you a college education if you study hard. This will be hard at first, but will become very elementary in time.
Pool School is first, then read up on the suggestions prior to this post.
Read in forums is a big help too, if you find a mod you like, go and read all of their posts as they are very smart and know this very well.
Additional reading for newbies.
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html
A TF-100 kit is what I have and wouldn't even consider anything else.

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.