Building your own chaise loungers?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
We have been looking at chaise loungers for our new pool and man I didn't know I was going to have to take out a loan to get a decently built lounger. Well my wife looked online and found these. I am attempting them this weekend since the pool build is still a week out. Anyone ever done anything like these? I have build cabinets, bars, poker tables, and am very good with wood so I don't think I will have a problem with them. Looks like all the materials will be about $50-60 per lounger so a whole lot cheaper than some of the ones we have been looking at. I will post some pics during the build at different phases.

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2011/06/di ... ounge.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been surprised also how pricey loungers can be.............I like the simplicity of of those and can dress it up with some cushions......will look forward to seeing how yours comes out. My hubby might be building me some new loungers soon!

Have not decided on paint or stain. I am leaning stain, wife wants to paint Them black and yes we will be putting cushions on them. It does look like a fun project. I love wood working anyways so should be a fun weekend project.

Also was thinking wheels could easily be added. What I was thinking was building 4 of these and 2 that are doubled. Just double the measurements for a 2 person chaise.

I'm sure they will turn out great. We're going to take on an Adirondack project and build 2 of them, I think the plan is to stain them. I'm excited. (more so to be sitting in them)

I don't see how anyone could buy loungers or adirondacks for 100s when they can be built using instructions found online for a fraction of the cost. :party:

I've been shocked at the prices of chaises as well. I found these plans and suggested to DH that he make me some. I was wondering how the plans compared. The back looks more in proportion to me.

I am curious how long it takes. DH is good at fabricating things but he did not seemed enthused when I showed him the plans!

Paper_Diva said:
I've been shocked at the prices of chaises as well. I found these plans and suggested to DH that he make me some. I was wondering how the plans compared. The back looks more in proportion to me.

I am curious how long it takes. DH is good at fabricating things but he did not seemed enthused when I showed him the plans!

Do you have a link to some different plans?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I like your plans better diva. May go with that one even though it will require more cuts. I like the fact that it does not have the big lip on each side like the one in the picture I posted.

kyle11 said:
We have been looking at chaise loungers for our new pool and man I didn't know I was going to have to take out a loan to get a decently built lounger. Well my wife looked online and found these. I am attempting them this weekend since the pool build is still a week out. Anyone ever done anything like these? I have build cabinets, bars, poker tables, and am very good with wood so I don't think I will have a problem with them. Looks like all the materials will be about $50-60 per lounger so a whole lot cheaper than some of the ones we have been looking at. I will post some pics during the build at different phases.

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2011/06/di ... ounge.html

Those feet don't look like they could support someone my size. I think they should have used something much thicker otherwise they will end up breaking when someone puts lateral force on the chair when sitting down. Just a thought for your build.

Yeah I think so also flippy. Actually think I am going with the 1st set diva posted above. Like the look of that one better buy the wife will have the final say on what I build. :)

I might be getting close to convincing DH to build some for me after I told him he could make them out of teak! I am pretty sure a light bulb started to flicker, LOL.

I noticed the legs looked flimsy too. I do like the looks of the first set I posted. Maybe with the added beverage tray.

Got all the wood cut for 1 lounger in an hour and a half with a miter saw. Costs right at $70 for all the wood, screws, glue, hinges, stain, and wood filler. Will start assembling in the morning. We decided to just do one to start to make sure they turn out how we want.

Here are a couple pics of the wood on top of all the pool equipment.

[attachment=1:1arx85i5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025606.060362.jpg[/attachment:1arx85i5]
[attachment=0:1arx85i5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025617.994148.jpg[/attachment:1arx85i5]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025606.060362.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025606.060362.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 674
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025617.994148.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341025617.994148.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 673
Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but there is a great woodworking site that I love -- google Anna white - knock off wood. She has tons of free projects on there. (I have no affiliation - just love the site : )

Good luck
Melissia

Got a wild hair in my Rear and decided about 1 this morning to start assembling. It is not to hard. Just make sure you get your frame square and the rest will fall in place. I also laid out some of the seat and it looks pretty good. Think it will look really good when we stain them with a dark stain.

[attachment=1:9dnux3pq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044529.566166.jpg[/attachment:9dnux3pq]
[attachment=0:9dnux3pq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044554.708955.jpg[/attachment:9dnux3pq]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044529.566166.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044529.566166.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 644
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044554.708955.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341044554.708955.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 645

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.