Liner Tear

jjdurrant said:
It's actually more like three feet. I have not lost any water. It's a clean cut. I only noticed it when I brushed the bottom.

You should be losing water. A lot. Are you sure it isn't a wrinkle?

It's not normal to get a tear like that in the bottom with a liner that's in good shape, so I suspect you'll be looking at a new liner soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a pic:

IMG_0725.JPG

Ouch! That jagged tear says the liner is brittle. It could be just a bad spot from where the previous owner let shock or pH adjusters settle on the bottom. You should be able to patch it. A local pool store might have a piece of liner scrap that you can use as the patch if you don't have any.

Boxer #100 is the adhesive of choice http://www.boxeradhesives.com/product/adhesive.html

My experience with patching a liner underwater says that will be INCREDIBLY difficult on a tear that big. The adhesive sets up too fast.

Secondly, I believe it may well be patched from the backside. There should be no water left in your pool with a hole in the liner that size. Something else is going on.

Well, I must not understand what I think I do about hydraulics. That water has an open path to the vermiculite bottom of your pool. That substrate is certainly not waterproof and should be absorbing VERY large amounts of your pool water until it's all gone.

I do not mean to be an alarmist but someone correct my thinking if there's a good reason for the water to stay in the pool.

This is certainly not what I would expect to have happen. However, if there was something waterproof below the liner the weight of the water could be sealing the bottom against it. Regular concrete, while not truly waterproof, would be waterproof enough that it could maybe have this effect. More likely would be some of the foam padding products. If there is a "flap" of liner that can be folded back, it should be possible to see what kind of material is down there.

Neither a pool cleaner or brushing would cause a jagged tear like that unless there was already significant damage of some kind. They could, however, have completed tearing open a section that was on the verge of failing for some other reason.

I would assume if it leaks like you say it wouldn't take long to notice.
Yeah, Justin, me, too. That's why I'm so puzzled.

If you had a concrete bottom, I guess I could understand the pressure from above is holding the liner tight against the concrete and the concrete is absorbing the water VERY slowly. That said, I've never heard of a liner pool having a concrete bottom so, if it's vermiculite, it should be sucking it up like a sponge.

Any indication anywhere that your liner is starting to float?

Below are more pics. It looks like a concrete bottom. It looks like it is getting worse. Of course me prying at it is not helping.

No indication of the liner floating anywhere.

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.