Liner Tear

I talked to the pool guy today.. he said $2800 installed for a new liner. :(

I asked about the no water loss. He said that is because the moisture in the soil. Does that sound right?

He said that is because the moisture in the soil. Does that sound right?
Not really. If the ground were saturated (ground water up to the top of your pool), he is correct the pool would not drain BUT the liner would float away from the pool walls since the pressure has been equalized.

jjdurrant said:
I talked to the pool guy today.. he said $2800 installed for a new liner. :(

I asked about the no water loss. He said that is because the moisture in the soil. Does that sound right?

Actually, high groundwater could keep the pool from leaking a lot. $2800 is probably a fair estimate for a liner change. You'll have to add in water for refilling.

jjdurrant said:
How much extra should I expect to pay for the water?

It depends mostly on your area. If you are on city water, you can often get them to waive the sewage fee, and fill it reasonably from your hose. Some installers want several thousand gallons available the day they set the liner, so you'd have to have at least some trucked in.

jjdurrant said:
Thanks guys.. Good news. I was able to shuffle some funds and schedule the liner replacement. Whoo hoo!

So, do you think the quoted install price does not include the water?

Usually it's not included. Sorry you are having to deal with this in your first year, but glad you're going to be able to make it work. Your liner is either very old, or the water wasn't well maintained by the previous owner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea, it sucks. We are $5000 in and have yet to swim! :)

On the positive side, we shoudn't have to worry about anything for 10+ years now that the heater and liner are new.

The liner is very old. I think the previous owner said at least 10 years old.

Congrats on being able to get the new liner. Looking at that tear, it was a disaster waiting to happen. No way that would have lasted through the season with even light pool use. Just walking on it would have worsened it.

^^^ yea. I talked to the installer and he said there is no need to bring water in. I guess that is good.

Are there any special chemical considerations I need to be aware of when we fill it back up? Or will the installer make sure everything is balanced when the job is complete?

The installer will not be the one to trust to balance your pool water. He wont want to, either.

Read the sticky entitled "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and begin to learn about managing your pool water. Then when it's filled, I would suggest you have a test kit on hand to bring it within the parameters described in that sticky. Using mostly Clorox, you'll be able to have a crystal-clear pool all summer.

Here are some updated pics. You can see the water is rapidly dropping! It's also easier to see how bad the liner really is.

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.