Added too much algae guard

Bob222

Jun 29, 2012
Hello all,

I am a first time pool owner and am new to all of these chemicals. I got some help from another pool owner that is a friend, so I think I've got everything that I need and am ready to go. But I made a mistake when adding algae guard.

My pool holds 4,500 gallons. I have the "HTH Super algae guard" which was the weaker of the two algae guards they had at Wal-Mart. In my haste to get my pool ready, I made a math error and added far too much. It says to use 4 ounces for 10,000, and I made a mistake and read it as 4 ounces for every 1,000 gallons. So, instead of adding 2 ounces like I should have, I added 16 ounces (yeah, go ahead and laugh at my idiocy )

So, my question is, what should I do? Is it safe to swim anyway? Should I wait a day? A week? Drain it partially and refill it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

They're not much of a friend of they let oyu put algaecide in your pool of any amount! :mrgreen: Just kidding.

really though you shouldn't need any if you keep your FC where it should be.

Now that ship has sailed. Just keep the FC at the top of normal for your CYA and it'll go away soon.

Can you post a full set of test results?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.