New IG pool build start to finish!

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
I'm somewhat new to this forum. I'm going to post my pool build start to finish.Both good and bad. We'll see if it helps anyone else learn from whatever mistakes I'm sure I'll make :roll: This first pic is the bare ground. Wish me Luck!
Time line: Dec-March - deciding which PB to go with. Decision April 1- contract signed April 28th. Pool 18x36 IG 3 1/2 shallow- 9 ft deep. 850sqft of concrete decking. Equipment- deciding today. Any suggestions (I'm clueless) :lol: sorry my scanner is broke so right now I can't scan the layout.

Attachments

• poolpic10001.jpg
    poolpic10001.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,856
2 Weeks with good weather we dig! Ok so here are the specs on equipmentand pool. 18x36 IG pool with 850 sqft decking I decided to go with the cantilever. I also decided to do 4 sprays from the deck as water features to help with my original cooling question. It was only 400$ more so I thought it was fine.
Pentair whisperflo 3/4 horse single pump
Pentair clean and clear plus 240sq ft cartridge filter
dig220 autopilot swg with 60 cell
4 deck jets
carrerra tile liner
abs plastic steps
double hand rail on each side of steps
ladder
dedicated vac port for my G4 zodiac cleaner
reg lighting
turbotwister pool slide (I think, still researching this one)
I'll let you know when they start to dig!

Let me know if you have any questions about the Turbo Twister, we have one. The PB wanted 3k for it, so we had the PB stub a line up and we bought one online for 2k and installed it ourselves. The kids love it so far, but our pool has only been up and running for a couple of months.

Yes definetely, Our PB wanted 3800 for it so we were looking online ourselves. Where did you find yours online? I bought my swg too because he wanted 500$ more for it plus install. I also had thought about a variable speed pump as he had only a 3/4 horse and he said it was a $1000.00 upgrade. I was gonna research it today. I have three kids 9,6,2. How's the landing on the turbo? Does the slide work well? Thanks

I apologize for the self-promotion, but you may want to consider becoming a TFP Supporter, just for the financial savings.

You might want to check with www.poolandspawarehouse.com. The owner, Paul, is a regular on the site (user name "All your parts"), and offers a 10% discount to TFP Supporters, which would be a substantial amount on a slide and / or pump.

JoshU, of www.saltpoolguys.com, also offers significant discounts to TFP Supporters and can get just about anything you are looking for - you'd just need to contact him for a quote.

I believe both of them price match as well. The best benefit is that you are dealing with known, and trusted vendors - there are a lot of fly by night operations out there, so be careful whoever you chose. hth

It looks like you are off to a great start. I think your house is perfect for a pool with that raised patio and deck. Keep the pictures coming as you progress. You may want to consider posting image links instead of attaching the pictures as they are limited in space. I used the topic below to figure out how to include the links.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... t+pictures

hth

whoozer said:
Yes definetely, Our PB wanted 3800 for it so we were looking online ourselves. Where did you find yours online? I bought my swg too because he wanted 500$ more for it plus install. I also had thought about a variable speed pump as he had only a 3/4 horse and he said it was a $1000.00 upgrade. I was gonna research it today. I have three kids 9,6,2. How's the landing on the turbo? Does the slide work well? Thanks

I'll look it up when I get home this evening, I think it was right at 2050 bucks with free shipping and can't remember off the top of my head where we bought from. I just about had a heart attack when they delivered it and I saw how big the box was:

http://www.treswright.vervehosting.com/ ... de-box.jpg

I had to get a ladder just to get the parts out of the box, LOL! It really helps to have an extra pair of hands around to put it together. It's not hard to assemble, but the pieces are so big it's difficult to maneuver things into position.

The slide works fantastic and is very solidly built! My kids are 5, 11 and 14. The 14 YO hasn't even been in the pool yet, but the others love the slide. I've been down it twice and it's a blast! The landing doesn't take up as much room as you'd think, here's a pic of my daughter's friend going off the end:

http://www.treswright.vervehosting.com/ ... imming.jpg

For the exact landing requirements, go to this link and click on the "TurboTwister Installation" PDF:

http://www.srsmith.com/fun_games/details.php?id=16

Basically you need a 4'-6" depth and a 13'-6" by 7'-0" landing area. Based on what we're seeing that's overkill, but I'm sure they're building in a safety margin.

One last thing, the slide doesn't have a lip under it so the water tends to wick back under it and go all over the deck (very annoying). I added a vinyl strip along the bottom that is angled outward, you can barely see it in the above photo. That really helps, it directs almost all the water back into the pool.

EDIT- I converted the pics from images to links so as not to detract from your build photos.

That is so awesome thanks so much. I've gone back and forth 10 million times on the slide but couldn't find any "real" pics to figure it out thanks. Could you find out where you got it and PM me thanks. Happy swimming

No problem!

Well I got home and checked on the vendor, but bad news- the price has gone way up on them. I guess it's because plastic is a petroleum product and the price of oil is so high. I paid 2088 with shipping in mid-February and the price is now 2457 at the same vendor. Here's where I got it:

http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/poolsli ... ister.html

At the time I was looking they had by far the cheapest price, but since they've gone up there may be someone else cheaper now if you shop around. It took right at 2 weeks to get it after the order was placed. It was drop-shipped directly from the factory which is probably how most of the internet shops do it with something this big.

EDIT- sorry to pull your build thread off track! After you copy all the info down if you want me to shorten the posts and pull the pics let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm cool with it as long as everyone else is. The slide was a part of my build I was still in the air about and I did ask for opinions. Thanks.I have found one for $2349 so I may go there. If mine looks half as good as yours I'll be stylin. 1 1/2 more weeks to go. PLEASE tell the rain gods to slow down with the rain until my pools done. Then it can rain at night only :wink: until summers over. Everyone with me :lol: :lol:

So without anything really being started yet I have that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that I am about to go for a bad roller coaster ride :cry: Why you ask. Well it seems like my pb might have just wanted my deposit of 10k and doesn't want to "discuss" my pb further. I called him after a week of not hearing from him about my scheduled dig date (never a good sign when they tell you they will call you later in the day with a dig date and never call). He said " the excavator person told me it will be done in 2 weeks if your lucky" So what does that mean exactly???? Also I voiced a concern about the pool pump in his package and stated that I would like him to credit me the money for the whisperflo pump so I could buy an intelliflo myself. He wanted an extra 1,000 for the 4 speed intelliflo so it would cost 1500 total. Thats such a rip off. I told him I could get it alot cheaper myself (propbably shouldn't have done that). So he said he'd have to "get back with me". So what is your thoughts??? I'm trying not to be a skeptic but as you can see it isn't working. I interviewed 6 pbs and got references on this guy from 4 people. Am I just over reacting?? Probably it is too soon to tell but I just wanted your thoughts. Thanks once again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Did you already give him your money? I've always read that you should never pay out a deposit and only pay for the work as it's completed. In California contractors are not allowed to ask for such a high deposit -- I forget the limits. We still haven't paid our builder and we're already at the tile phase. I'd see if there is some way out of this or make sure the PB changes his attitude very fast.

One definitely NOT pay anything in advance of work. The work should always stay ahead of the payments. This keeps them coming back. If a contractor can't afford to start without your money first, he's probably someone you don't want to do business with or have build your pool.

I just signed a contract on 4/22. Here's the payment schedule to be paid after the step is complete.

15% Excavation
38% Plumbing, Steel, Electric, Gunite
35% Masonry, Decking
12% Clean-up, Plaster

What form of payment did you give him? Is it too late to stop payment on the check or CC?

Whoozer, as the other said you should not have been asked to pay anything up front. The first draw is typically paid at the end of excavation. Some states have laws dictating the payment schedule on pools, you might check to see if yours does.

Quote: "He said " the excavator person told me it will be done in 2 weeks if your lucky"

This is not a good sign at all. He's already acting like this is between you and a 3rd party and doesn't have anything to do with him. It is up to him to come up with a schedule and make his subs comply with it, that is what you're paying him for!!!! Otherwise you might as well just go hire the subs yourself and save some money. He should be able to tell you not only the exact dig date, but all other critical dates before the project has even started. Sure there may need to be adjustments for rain delays, but it sounds like you don't even have a schedule from him right now.

I would be inclined to run from this guy, but unfortunately you have entered into a contract with him and you cannot break it unless he is in breach of contract. Read your contract closely, see if there are any dates in there. If not, contact the PB and tell him you want a schedule ASAP. If he refuses, I'm afraid your next call will have to be to a lawyer.

Good luck!

Lets just say alot of praying is going on right now! Yes I did give a deposit that I cannot get back as out of 6 pb's I interviewed only 1 didn't require an up front deposit. All four people I called that he built their pools were happy and they all said he required 50% or more up front. Yes they had a few very small issues but they weren't anything that red flagged the guy to me like some of the others I called about. I didn't have a time line put into my contract only a finish by date that he gets less and less if he's behind. I guess we'll see. I can only hope it doesn't goes as far as lawyers and all of that. I think it is far to early to worry about that. Unfortunately it seems you just can't rely on anyone anymore except yourself! :x

Whoozer,

Sorry to hear you're already uncomfortable with your builder this early on. I don't have any advice for you, just support. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's just had an off week. Could be stressed as it's busy season and the subs will get backed up. These aren't excuses, as you're paying good money not to have these headaches. Just trying to figure what might have him not communicating well with you.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't let em push you around.

Whoozer, sorry to hear about the trouble and anxiety already. The deposit seems high, but I'm sure everything will be fine. Become a pain in his rear-end. Call him every day and ask for a date and schedule. That will motivate him a bit. He'll want to get you off his back. ;)

Right now is the peak of the building season, so a delay isn't all that unusual. Be patient and you'll be swimming before you know it!

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.