New IG pool build start to finish!

Stop the rain gods please!!!!

So just an update. Talked with my PB yesterday. He said that they were going to start this week but the excavator guy got behind for the beginning of the week due to some serious rain we got this past weekend. We are in the construction business and it slowed us down too so I guess I'll let this one slide :cry: We are scheduled for next week on the 21st. Fingers crossed and lots of praying that this project gets underway next week.

Rain will definitely push the scheduling back. There's really nothing you can do about it, short of a anti-rain dance.
It sounds like you're in queue, so that's a good thing. Good luck with the scheduling. My fingers are crossed for you.

John

And I need an anti-wind dance :wink: Plaster guy says one day of wind puts them behind 2 days. We've had almost a week of wind here :shock:

What's that song by The Supreme's? Sing it with me, now.... "No wind, no wind, No rain...no rain"

whoozer said:
Any suggestions on that antirain dance??? :party: :whoot: :rockon:

Guys I hope your anti-rain dance works.
Our pool was plastered and filled Fri/Sat last week.
GC did not listen to my comments about where water had washed into pool before it was plastered. Sat night beautiful pool crystal clear. Heavy rain overnight Sunday morning a brown swamp.'
GC drained and cleaned on Monday pool full but still cloudy as you cannot get all the mud/dirt out of various lines,
Rain exoecyed again today. Hope GC's erosion fences work. Beginning to lose patience.

Whoozer, the anti-rain dance must be done in the nude and typically requires the imbibing of alcoholic beverages :shock:

chc4au, I really hate to tell you this but you may have a very serious problem on your hands. It sounds like your pool was built too low. Some friends of ours have the same problem- pool was built too low and every time it rained hard their pool became a muddy mess. PB refused to do anything and they sued (over this and some other pool-related issues) and won. PB shut down and they collected nothing on the suit. They finally had a contractor come in and do some regrading and install a lift station (sump pump). That has been working so far, but it's one more thing they have to keep maintained. Hopefully your problem isn't as serious, but there shouldn't be anything washing into your pool regardless of how hard it rains.

Ok so as some of you know I live in the Midlands of South Carolina. Our ground out here is pretty much clay...everywhere lots and lots of clay.....hey did I mention we have clay :) So anyway. I was talking to my hubby and he just now voices his concern about the Pool build. Here is his concern. We have a pretty good sized grade that will be going in the direction of the deep end of the pool. My husbands concern is that they will just come in a jallopy the pool in without taking the grade and water runoff into effect. He thinks we need to raise the level of the pool. My PB uses a sub for his dirt work so should I be concerned by this or do they go over the grade of the pool etc before they start to dig? I think you can see the grade in my first pics. If not I'll repost new ones to get opinions. The other question is with the concrete. If we do have to raise the level how do I insure the concrete won't over crack or shift due to grade change? Is compacting it enough? If so what stage should I make sure it is done? My last pool was a fiberglass and we waited a whole year for the ground to settle through winter with snow. Here we have no snow not sure how different it is. Thanks once again!

This whole time I thought you were a guy, "Whoozer" sounds masculine I guess :p You should indeed be very concerned about grading and water runoff. Definitely talk to your PB about it, preferably with his dirtwork guy there. Tell them your concerns and find out what they plan to do about it. It's very hard to make a determination based on photos, but with a steep grade across the pool location I would think you'd want to swale around the pool to divert the drainage. On the low side you'll either need a retaining wall or some serious filling. Maybe the PB plans on using the excavated soil to regrade the low side of the pool. My site is relatively flat, but I was surprised to find the pool was 12" above grade on one side when it was formed up! The PB filled and sloped it on the low side and it is fine, but it just goes to show that even a site that looks flat usually isn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's so fun when it rains and my two dogs come flying in the house dragging in the clay. :evil: I'm planning on having a rock wall built on the front side of the pool that goes the full length of the pool. Do you think this will help? I'm sure my husband knows but what is swale?

whoozer, I have just read through this post and what you are going through sounds so very familiar to me! I too had to give a hefty deposit to my PB day one; had checked him out with the BBB; had talked with others who had pools built by him as well as him being recommended by friends. Then there was the main reason and that was that his name was on the door, which to me said he would have pride in his work and work a little harder than the big guys. WRONG!! For a simple "hole in the ground with plastic" it took 7 almost 8 months! Nagging him did no good whatsoever. At this point, he has left me with equipment that I've had to learn on my own how to use; I've had to go the manufacturers and get the owner's manuals and warranty information and I've had to buy my own pool cleaner since it was apparently too much to ask for him to bring it to me. I've held out the last payment and don't plan on paying him since it is due "upon completion"...which he never did in my opinion.

My suggestion to you is to document, document, document!! If you are having bad vibes about him now/already, you might need it later on. I have kept a calendar since day one of what the weather was and what work, if any, was done. Something told me that this just might be a good idea. Turns out that just may be the saving grace should he decide to take things legal for that last 2K!

Good luck with your build! I found that adult beverages came in VERY handy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TresW said:
Whoozer, the anti-rain dance must be done in the nude and typically requires the imbibing of alcoholic beverages :shock:

chc4au, I really hate to tell you this but you may have a very serious problem on your hands. It sounds like your pool was built too low. Some friends of ours have the same problem- pool was built too low and every time it rained hard their pool became a muddy mess. PB refused to do anything and they sued (over this and some other pool-related issues) and won. PB shut down and they collected nothing on the suit. They finally had a contractor come in and do some regrading and install a lift station (sump pump). That has been working so far, but it's one more thing they have to keep maintained. Hopefully your problem isn't as serious, but there shouldn't be anything washing into your pool regardless of how hard it rains.

Our GC is contouring diverting land above pool. Also retaining wall drainage system etc
Our GC is really good so it should work out.

Yeah it sucks when you have a bad vibe from the start. I emailed him and am now going to do the weather thing like you said I think that is a good idea. It was like Jekyll and Hyde he was awesome just before I signed with him then once he got his money he didn't want anything to do with me. When he comes next week we are totally revamping our contract and he will sign it or else!!!!! I'm from the South they can shove lawyers and such up their you know what my husband is almost 7 feet tall with alot of muscle....we'll pay him a visit and get our money back if a pb pounding is what it takes :twisted: :twisted:

whoozer said:
We have a pretty good sized grade that will be going in the direction of the deep end of the pool. My husbands concern is that they will just come in a jallopy the pool in without taking the grade and water runoff into effect. He thinks we need to raise the level of the pool. My PB uses a sub for his dirt work so should I be concerned by this or do they go over the grade of the pool etc before they start to dig? I think you can see the grade in my first pics. If not I'll repost new ones to get opinions. The other question is with the concrete. If we do have to raise the level how do I insure the concrete won't over crack or shift due to grade change? Is compacting it enough? If so what stage should I make sure it is done? My last pool was a fiberglass and we waited a whole year for the ground to settle through winter with snow. Here we have no snow not sure how different it is. Thanks once again!

This is an important step, so make sure they get it right. You'll be fine with your grade if done right.

MY PB started 6 inches higher than the highest point in the grade. He then used a laser level and built the pool to that grade. My grade isn't that step, but I was still amazed at how high the pool stuck out on the "low" side. the problem I ran in to was with the fill dirt. The PB didn't leave enough, so I have to have more trucked in.

Make sure the PB leaves enough dirt to give you the grading you want. You should be fine then.

John

PS, about the anti-rain dance...I think there's peanut butter involved...

Yeah my husband has now really figured out what needs to be done and we will go over it with the excavator guy next week. Keeping our fingers crossed!

P.S. The naked thing, adult drink thing and peanut butter thing didn't work.....IT'S RAINING :cry:

So I'm being put off again :roll: We got like a sprinkle of rain one day last week and the excavator guy rescheduled us for 2 days later. Was supposed to be dug at least 3 other dates now already. I haven't even started and it's already old! I'm sure when it is done I'll be soo thankful but it is surely hard to see right now. Maybe I'll be swimming in Dec :cry: The Crud we put ourselves through for a little R&R :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.