Pool closed for 1 year what do I do????

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
Ok so I have a new issue unrelated to my upcoming pool build in SC. I have a home in Maine that has a freeform fiberglass IG pool. It is 15x33ft and 3 1/2 on shallow and 7 or so on the deep. I moved out of the home in July of 07 and closed the pool down. Blew out the lines antifreeze the whole nine yards. Now almost 1 year later the house has not sold and I'm unsure of what to do with the pool to keep it from becoming a swamp. I didn't plan on reopening it as I am 1100 miles away but will be at the house for 2 weeks in July. What should I do to keep this thing ok until it sells? Which at this rate could be 3 years from now :pale: HELP!!!!

If you can't be there frequently to check up on it, the best thing to do is make sure there is a solid cover that is securely attached and leave it closed. Algae may well grow but as long as no fresh debris gets into the pool it will be fairly easy to clean up when it is finally opened.

The cover is another issue. I have one of those covers with the water bags over it and we got so much rain and snow that the cover has now begun to fall in. Should I get a different cover to put on it? How much do the more permanent covers run? I don't want to spend too much since I'm selling it. Should I shock the pool at all or no since it can't circulate?

An off brand safety cover starts around $600 if you install it yourself.

There isn't really any point in adding chlorine unless you could do it once a week and had some circulation going.

The key thing is to keep debris from accumulating in the pool. Seasonal checks of the PH might also be a good idea, though I would expect it to be fairly steady.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.