Bonding loop question

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
When we first started up the pool after moving in, there was a metal intermatic timer box located right next to the pump. One bonding wire going to the pump, the other to the timer box.

Ive since moved the timer into a storage shed about 15' away from the original location. I then took both bonding wires and used a 2-input block screwed into place on the pump to have them both bonded to the pump. I was under the impression you want a COMPLETE loop, whereas going one to the timer and one to the pump leaves the loop open.

What is the correct way? Is one to the timer and one to the pump satisfactory? Or does it need to be a complete loop with an input/output at the timer AND pump? Ive also read equipment a certain distance from the pool doesnt need to be bonded, but now I have an SWG and since its electricity flowing through the cell right against the water, Im assuming that needs to be in the bond loop as well now.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

There does need to be a complete loop around the pool. Often the loop is closed/connected near the pool, and then one end of that loop extends out to the pump. If the two ends of the loop are not otherwise attached together, you should terminate both of them at the pump. There is no need to connect bonding to the timer box at all. The SWG should be bonded, there are several ways to do that, depending on the physical layout.

The last time I reviewed the NEC code on bonding (a couple of weeks ago) I did not recall seeing anything regarding closing of loops. The bonding only serves to connect all potential conductive electrical potentials together to get them all in one potential. For example, an above ground pool needs to have 4 bond locations equally spaced around the shell. The wire, in theory could end at the last bond attachment. Most installers will continue the run and tie it back in to the starting bond on the shell or continue it on back to the originating bond point. It is best to ask your local inspector what he wants to see. Different areas follow different interpretations of the code. I recently worked on an above ground that was only required to have 3 bond points on the shell/frame and they were each attached to uprights next to each other. I don't have my code book handy at the moment but it seems that 5' is the magic number for proximity to the pool. Again, ask your local authority what he wants to see.

Thanks everyone.

If it doesnt need to be a complete loop, I believe I will extend the bonding wire that used to be going to the timer and bring that to the SWG. Then the remaining bonding wire directly to the pump.

The pool existed when we moved in so I dont know the bonding setup other than the two wires I see, but at least I can make sure that is as correct as I can get it.

Thanks again.

-Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.