How to keep balanced while on vacation?

May 26, 2012
Northwest Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We will be taking a 5 day vacation and I'd like to return to a nice pool. Here are my current readings, using the BBB method:
TC 3.5
PH 7.5
CYA 45

I have a 15'x42" intex above ground so would putting several of the 1" tablets in the filter suffice? If so, how many?

Raise FC level to shock value with bleach before you leave. Put a bunch of tablets in the floater and leave it open just a crack ... Hard to say how fast they will dissolve. Keep a count of how many you use to estimate the CYA rise.

Make sure the floater can not get stuck against the liner or it may bleach.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Since you appear to have a pretty good handle on how much FC you're losing per day, perhaps you could do as I did just this week...

I've made simple "1", "1.5", and "2" marks on a clear plastic bowl. I asked a friend to drop by each morning, and add "4" to the pool. :) He didn't have to test, or try to worry about the math, or anything like that. Just pour 4 "units" into the pool from the bleach bottles in the closet. We, of course, know that was 4ppm worth of 6% chlorine, but he didn't have to. :) Sounds like you could ask someone to add "3" a day and be just fine.

Granted, that might be a bit more than you're using each day, but it won't be enough more over 5 days to cause any harm.

Just a thought. :) Nothing at all wrong with the chlorine tablets if you're managing the CYA. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.