My 1st pool...salt h2o...question about chlorine stabilizer

Ctrain

Jun 28, 2012
New to this site so sorry if I'm posting to wrong spot...

Just renovated entire pool as we just moved in and it was in rough shape. New liner, pump, salt water generator...

Just finished filling with fresh water and pool company said to add 12lbs of stabilizer.

If I add 4lbs at a time every 3-4hrs, is that ok? Would like to swim in it tomorrow night if possible...

Any advice is appreciated. Thx!
Ctrain

Re: My 1st pool...salt h2o...question about chlorine stabili

Welcome to TFP!

You can add all of the CYA at once, if you pour slowly. Regardless of that, you can swim right away if your other levels are balanced and you add some chlorine manually. With a brand new pool all you really need is for the PH to be in range (7.2 to 7.8) and an appropriate amount of chlorine for your CYA level. If CYA is zero, as it will be right at first, FC of 1 to 3 is fine, though you will lose that all fairly quickly when the sun is out.

Yes, you should lower pH. But if you haven't already bought the pH minus, just buy some muriatic acid. Pool store has it, so do most big box hardware stores, a good many mom-n-pop hardware stores, too.

You might also want to drop some bleach in there (space the acid and bleach at least 30 minutes apart) until the SWG catches up.

Granted you did not ask, but we are full service :mrgreen:

What test kit do you have? I highly recommend you get one of the kits we recommend (see link in my signature) and take full control of your pool from the start. That way we will not see you back in a month complaining about a green pool :goodjob:

Read through Pool School a few times and soon enough you will know more that most pool store employees ... and not fall for their sales tactics.

Thx for test kit suggestions. I only bought the test strips to start as I though they'd be easiest to understand. After 2 weeks, it seems I've to all my chemistry levels within normal ranges! Just added another 200lbs of salt to balance that to 4000. Now I'm going to attempt to vacuum for the first time...it's easy right?

Can I vacuum while the pump is running?

Thx for all your help/advice!
Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.