Help ! i think i put to much bleach in my pool ?

wetone

Jun 28, 2012
i put 4 192 oz jugs of bleach in our above ground pool 21'x 48" round , also i didnt check any readings , also did not algacide yet .

what should i do next ?

the temp here in sw ohio is 100 today ..btw

You may or may not have bleached out your liner. It really depends on the stabilizer level. That much 6% bleach will raise FC to about 36. With a green pool, a lot of that probably got used up fast.

I suggest you start reading in Pool School. The link's up in the upper right on every page here. We don't advocate blindly dumping anything into your pool. You should start with a water test, and then add only what you need, and only as much as you need.

Let me ask you something: If you had some sort of infection and the doctor gave you a week's worth of antibiotics and told you to take 2 a day, would you eat the whole bottle at once?

no pucks , was just trying to get the levels up to shock ... i did put 4 gals of liq, chlor in yesterday .. the pool guy said that was probly gone all ready .

i bought a cheap test kit , it measures cya , fc , ph Ta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to decide if you are going to take control of you pool and understand what it needs ... not what someone wants to sell you. If you make that decision, here are my recommendations:

1. Don't trust pool store tests (or test strips) ... just stop going there.
2. Order one of the GOOD recommended test kits (see my signature)
3. Read Pool School a few times
4. Post up results with your new kit when it arrives and start the shock PROCESS
5. Enjoy your pool while saving money.

You should NEVER need to put algaecide in your pool ... or phosphate remover ... or anything besides bleach, muriatic acid or borax, maybe some baking soda, maybe some cyanuric acid. That is it.

wetone said:
no pucks , was just trying to get the levels up to shock ... i did put 4 gals of liq, chlor in yesterday .. the pool guy said that was probly gone all ready .

i bought a cheap test kit , it measures cya , fc , ph Ta

I mean, seriously, why settle for an inadequate test kit or worse yet unreliable pool store testing when a good kit is easily obtained from Duraleigh? I'm partial to the TF-100, which I've tweaked the kit up nicely so I can proceed in order from top to bottom and do the tests *bam, bam, bam!*

Avoid the algaecide since you don't know for sure you need it, and you can't be assured it isn't going to cause other problems down the road.

Read "Pool School" and get familiar with your pool, your water and how easy and less expensive the BBB method can be. You just have to put forth the effort to understand and master it and most likely every problem you might experience, someone here has already overcome and are happy to share a solution. It really is a LOT easier than listening to the pool store mumbo-jumbo.

jblizzle said:
You have to decide if you are going to take control of you pool and understand what it needs ... not what someone wants to sell you. If you make that decision, here are my recommendations:

1. Don't trust pool store tests (or test strips) ... just stop going there.
2. Order one of the GOOD recommended test kits (see my signature)
3. Read Pool School a few times
4. Post up results with your new kit when it arrives and start the shock PROCESS
5. Enjoy your pool while saving money.

You should NEVER need to put algaecide in your pool ... or phosphate remover ... or anything besides bleach, muriatic acid or borax, maybe some baking soda, maybe some cyanuric acid. That is it.

this is how i want to maintnance our pool , thanks for the advice, My Dear Wife is sick and im doing this for Her, im the only one working and im trying to keep my cost as affordable as possible, I need the most reasonable test kit i can find , that will do whats needded . thanks again.

We all know the cost of getting NAILED by the pool store. To date, I think I've spent about $140 on pool chemicals on a 25K gallon pool. This system works and the people are here to help you. :D We'll get you to some clear water!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.