Ladder is driving me nuts!

coffeegoddss

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
Minooka, IL
My sisterinlaw recently purchased weddingcake steps to make it easier for her Newfie to get out of their pool. She saved her old ladder and gave it to us for when we would eventually need a deck mounted ladder. It's in great condition and the perfect size. However, the floating is driving me nuts! :rant: It floats up considerably - allowing the mat to easily slide out from underneath it when the filter is on and, when anyone puts weight on it to climb out, it bangs against the bottom pretty hard. I do remember reading on here somewhere about purchasing a vinyl bath math with suction cups and that might help with that problem.

But, does anyone have a way to keep it from floating up so much? There's no way to fill it with water or sand and the openings in the back are only about an inch wide so I couldn't get one of those nifty sand pvc tubes tucked back in there. I'm worried that it'll torque too much when the filter is on. And wear my liner out (hopefully the bath mat will help that!)!

From The encyclopedia in Pool School:
AnnaK-StepWeights.jpg

While not a ladder, it does show an option for weights ... presumably the pipes are full of sand

sounds like there is air in it somewhere, can you post a picture? I have a confer A frame that can convert to a deck mount and there are plugs on each leg that allow you to fill the legs to help keep it from floating.

My Integrity Ladder has a box as the bottom step. You need to add bricks inside the box to hold it down. I have also seen "ladder weights" that look like the collapsable water jugs you use for camping and you fill them with sand.

images

I filled 4" PVC pipe with sand and capped the end.
All the big box stores have them, measured my steps and got a 36" long by 4" pipe from lowes and two caps.
Cut to 30" Filled with sand and used normal PVC cement to cap the ends has worked great for 2 seasons now, no issues and best of all it didn't cost much :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
zea3 said:
Is it bolted down to the top rail on the pool?

No, it bolts to the deck.

I ended up repositioning the return jet a little so the ladder wasn't in the direct path. It hasn't been pulling it too bad. I'm hoping that just getting a thicker mat - with suction cups or something to keep in place - will keep the liner safer. Then I'll just live with it until a new ladder (would LOVE an angled one or *gasp* one with steps!) isn't such an added expense.

If it was me.I would get a couple paver stone's.1-1.5 thick&take a hammer&chissel&break them down so they will fit inside the step's.Then take some tie strap's to fasten in.Just make sure you wear safety glass's when breaking the paver's..You may fine some that are small&will fit without breaking them

If you can take the pipes out of the top if the steps, I would add some HomeDepot/Toys R US play sand. If the pipes do not come out, look ion the backside of the steps for a plug you can remove or make a hole and add the sand.

Or, make weights using PVC pipes as suggested above IIRC and zip tie them to the stairs.

I have heard you can get the jumbo, heavy-duty bathtub mats (with the suction cups on the back ) at Wal-Mart and use that as a ladder pad.

kplaster said:
If it was me.I would get a couple paver stone's.1-1.5 thick&take a hammer&chissel&break them down so they will fit inside the step's.

I roamed Menards for a while until I finally found some patio pavers that were thin enough to work. I wrapped them up in duct tape - putting extra around one end to really wedge them in and, hopefully, prevent them from falling out. One heavy duty bathmat with suction cups from Wally-world and six pavers later - SUCCESS!

And my husband thought I was nuts... :wink:

coffeegoddss said:
kplaster said:
If it was me.I would get a couple paver stone's.1-1.5 thick&take a hammer&chissel&break them down so they will fit inside the step's.

I roamed Menards for a while until I finally found some patio pavers that were thin enough to work. I wrapped them up in duct tape - putting extra around one end to really wedge them in and, hopefully, prevent them from falling out. One heavy duty bathmat with suction cups from Wally-world and six pavers later - SUCCESS!

And my husband thought I was nuts... :wink:
:hammer: :goodjob: If they want stay in just get you some extra long wire strap's from lowe's,HD&put a strap around the step.They will stay then..Keep a eye on the tape.It may start breaking loose from the water.But, you will be fine for the summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.