Short sale. Empty pool in the Arizona heat

Jul 16, 2011
Mesa Arizona
I have a good friend of mine that has an accepted offer on a short sale. Now the long wait for the bank.
The home has a plaster pool built about 12 years ago but it's empty. I'm in the Phoenix area and it's going to be hot here for a while. Today it's supposed to be about 110 and the same for next few days. After that it's "cooling down" to 105 or so.
Is it ok for a plaster pool to sit empty in that kind of heat and if not, what can I do to keep the pool from falling apart?

Very high temperatures can cause the plaster to delineate, essentially pop off the walls of the pool. Shading the plaster from sunlight, while still allowing air flow would help, as would keeping the plaster wet, however, filling the pool would be much better.

JasonLion said:
Very high temperatures can cause the plaster to delineate, essentially pop off the walls of the pool. Shading the plaster from sunlight, while still allowing air flow would help, as would keeping the plaster wet, however, filling the pool would be much better.

Hmm, that's not good. I'll call him and let him know. Sounds like we need to get some water in there.
He is in Oregon and that house is right around the corner from me so I have a feeling I'm the "go to guy" to keep the thing in shape until he gets here or gets the final word from the bank which could take months being a short sale.

We don't know how long it's been empty. Probably for a couple months at least I think but the water is on so I called my buddy and told him all that. I even said if they would allow, I'd fill it and keep it clean until the bank gives the word.
It's a SWG so it wouldn't be that big of a deal and it's around the corner from me.

Problem is they may not want the liability of having it full of water ... although some may argue that having it empty is even more dangerous.

And who is paying for the water and electricity now ... probably the bank ... again they may not be interested in the added expense.

jblizzle said:
Problem is they may not want the liability of having it full of water ... although some may argue that having it empty is even more dangerous.

And who is paying for the water and electricity now ... probably the bank ... again they may not be interested in the added expense.

It's a liability either way. Full and some kids climb the fence and do stupid things in the pool. Take those same kids and add some skate boards and that's trouble as well.
This is a short sale so the bank doesn't actually own it yet. It's still legally owned by the homeowner because he hasn't been foreclosed on yet. It's a gray area who is responsible but for right now, it's the homeowner but he has bailed out.
It's Arizona law that the pool and the house has to be maintained in it's present condition and also pools specifically have to be either covered or filled with water. They don't have to keep the water clean but it must be chlorinated enough to keep skeeters and such from growing.
heck, my buddy will pay for the water if they let him and I'll take care of it for free except chemicals.

Well, since you're listening anyway, here is another question.
This pool has same pretty severe calcium build up and my friend wants to have it acid washed. I went to Leslies to ask how much an acid wash is. They told me $350.00. I said the pool is already empty. Is it less if it's already empty? He said......and I quote, "I don't know. The book doesn't tell me that."
Now there is some pool knowledge for ya.
Soooooooo,,,, how much is it to acid wash a 13,000 gallon, kidney bean shaped plaster play poo in Mesa Arizonal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in AZ too, here's a couple of things:

Somebody must be getting a bill from the water company. I doubt they will allow someone else to pay to fill a pool, but call and ask them. You may also want to let them know that you are filling a pool and ask if they give a break on the price - I heard about someone who did this and they got 1/2 off from Arizona Water (sounded weird to me but you never know, should be around $75 to fill it anyways @13000 gal)

For acid wash, try a local pool service. Ask a neighbor or friend who they use and contact info. Even try Cactus Valley Pools - they seem to have better prices and from my experience they are more flexible with things like the fact that your pool is already drained. Right now their 30% is only $2.99 on sale until July 1 as long as you buy 1 item at regular price.

Spiccolli said:
I live in AZ too, here's a couple of things:

Somebody must be getting a bill from the water company. I doubt they will allow someone else to pay to fill a pool, but call and ask them. You may also want to let them know that you are filling a pool and ask if they give a break on the price - I heard about someone who did this and they got 1/2 off from Arizona Water (sounded weird to me but you never know, should be around $75 to fill it anyways @13000 gal)

For acid wash, try a local pool service. Ask a neighbor or friend who they use and contact info. Even try Cactus Valley Pools - they seem to have better prices and from my experience they are more flexible with things like the fact that your pool is already drained. Right now their 30% is only $2.99 on sale until July 1 as long as you buy 1 item at regular price.

Hey,
Your right down the road. I'm at the 202 and Brown. Small world.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.