Questions on building a PVC fountain

I've decided to build a fountain as my pool water temp has gotten unreasonably warm to me.

My plan is to simply attach the fountain(s) to 1 or 2 returns.

I unscrewed the scalloped edge that holds the directional eyeball on and removed those 2 pieces. What remains is a short (approx 1/2") of male threaded pipe.
It looks to be approx. 1 1/2" in diameter, but I tried a 1 1/2" female PVC coupler and it would not screw on to it (too small).
Does the male threaded end sticking out of the pool wall measure 1 3/4"? I did not see that size coupling at Home Depot unfortunately.

Once I have that part figured out, is there a recommendation on the diameter of pipe for the fountain, or does it depend on pump size and length of fountain?
Is the goal to keep the filter pressure roughly the same as it is without the fountain?

Thanks!

SF

You should unscrew the remaining short piece of pipe. That will leave you with a standard 1.5" threaded female pipe that you can easily screw into.

1.5" pipe will be fine for the fountain. The pipe length won't be very long and 1.5 will be lighter and put less pressure on the return fitting.

The final filter pressure very much depends on how many holes you drill in the pipe for water to come out of. I recommend starting with "too few" and then adding more until you get the effect you are looking for.

JasonLion said:
I recommend starting with "too few" and then adding more until you get the effect you are looking for.
That's what I will be doing tonight. I didn't make one last year that was intended for "misting." I will probably start with a dozen or so tiny holes so I can use it with my pump on low speed.

I need to do this as well, gonna be over 100 here for the next 3 or 4 days, record breaking heat at 103 today!

I meant to unscrew an eyeball last night but i forgot :hammer: my pool was just built this summer everything is Haywood, what are the chances someone can tell me what diameter and threads I will encounter so i can buy a bunch of fittings over lunch?

Also I have unscrewed the eyeball before, but just the ball and ring that holds it in. Jason are you saying that what is left at that point can also be further unscrewed to reveal the pipe with fitting that goes through the pool wall? That would make sense as you would want to be able to replace the whole eyeball in the future....

My fountain was installed very simply by unhooking the top return hose, placing is above water level and securing with a twist tie. We then ran an additional return hose from the filter to the fountain. Very simple but it works.

Yes, an eyeball fitting has three pieces: a short piece of pipe that is threaded on both ends, the adjustable "eyeball", and a locking ring that holds the eyeball in place. The short piece of pipe can be removed with a strap wrench, which will leave you with the standard return fitting (which has female threads).

JasonLion said:
Yes, an eyeball fitting has three pieces: a short piece of pipe that is threaded on both ends, the adjustable "eyeball", and a locking ring that holds the eyeball in place. The short piece of pipe can be removed with a strap wrench, which will leave you with the standard return fitting (which has female threads).

Okay, not much of the threaded on both ends piece of pipe is sticking out of the wall, I'm thinking not enough to get a strap wrench on (if i had one). If it matters I have a liner pool, so i'm not sure how the liner is secured around the eyeball (my liner pool has gunite walls if that matters)

Thank you for the info Jason.

I was able to get the threaded piece of pipe out as you suggested. A strap wrench might have worked. There are internal slots as well. I used a right angle metal ruler with the appropriate width which worked fine.

I bought the PVC and built the fountain. Need to glue it together. I'll take pictures when it's complete.

SF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.