Vinyl Liner major separation from top...Please HELP.

IanNJ

Apr 22, 2008
I am a new member but I have done a lot of reading on this forum and on pool forums and the pool solutions website so I am familiar with the wealth of knowledge offered here. Last year was my first year owning and operating a pool (bought the house in October 06) and I used the BBB method to a very successful season. Then...I had the pool professionally closed and have had nothing but problems since.

It was a rainy, windy winter here in NJ and the cover and water bags repeatedly fell in, the liner floated A LOT and now I have a real mess on my hands. After uncovering the pool, I have discovered some MAJOR liner separation. I will post some pictures but I have areas of 3 feet that have popped out and there is a large gap between the track and the liner.

I have the water level quite low now due to a large hole in my !#$%# cover that I did not realize and left the pump on a little too long so the water level is about 2 1/2 feet below the top of the liner. My wife and I used a hair dryer and made a little progress but I we have now reached a point where I can not get the liner to move enough to get in the track, not even close. The weather here is about 65 and overcast so I probably do not have the best conditions but I am not sure how much that matters. I am wondering if all the floating has pulled the liner down the wall and therefore no amount of stretching will help. The areas where it is out are all inside curves so that is adding to the distance I have to pull.

This pool is only 4 or 5 years old and I really want to try to salvage this liner. Can a pool company do something like drain and re-position the liner or do they have wonderful/magical stretching tools? I have a feeling they will just come out and tell me I need a new liner and collect a load of cash.

Any advice? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Welcome to TFP!

If the liner is very old there might be problems with cracking. Otherwise it can be a pain but is very possible to fix. You want warm weather and warm water on the liner to help it stretch back into place. You will also want to use liner lock, or pennies, to keep it in place once you get it back in the track.

I believe this is the start of the liner's 5th season, that does not sound too old to me, maybe I am wrong. Jcat, I did read your post and now that I look at the pics, I guess it is a similar situation but I have more area to do. My problems lie on a gradual curve rather than a corner but the length of the separation is 3 feet +.

Sounds like hot water is the way to go, hooking up to the washer Hot is a good idea and will be the first thing I try on my next attempt.

As I said in my first post, my water level is pretty low right now, 2 and 1/2 feet below the top of the liner. Is this preferred, or should I start filling? Is it dangerous to have the level so low for an extended period?

I have read all the posts on this type of thing including the ABC's and I have seen some additional tips spoken of that I have not been able to find. Hot water and Liner lock seem to be the staples of this type of fix, anything else.

Thanks for the help!

Extra hands really help. It is often easier to get the liner into the track if you can pull it a little above where it needs to be and then push it in from slightly above where it will sit when fully seated. Meanwhile the extra hands help spread the pull out across more of the liner, so you aren't putting too much pressure on a single spot of liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.