New and need help!

Looks terrific. I assume you passed the OCLT criteria. Trouble is, once you grasp the chemistry and get the upper hand, there's a lot of free time to start monkeying around with other stuff. Before you know it, borates, 2 speed pumps, solar mats, fountains, homemade slime bags etc. will start to pique your interest. You're doomed. :p :-D

Thanks...
I just did the OCLT:
Last night: FC 3.0
This morning: FC:2.5
CC:0 both last night and this morning.
It looks like adding CYA made a huge difference!
Does this mean that Shocking is not necessary at this time?
Would increasing my SWG to 100% weekly be sufficent?
Thanks!
Yegim: LOL.. I thought once I got a grasp on this basic stuff that would be it :).. I guess not eh?. :)

macker36 said:
Thanks...
I just did the OCLT:
Last night: FC 3.0
This morning: FC:2.5
CC:0 both last night and this morning.
It looks like adding CYA made a huge difference!
Does this mean that Shocking is not necessary at this time?
Would increasing my SWG to 100% weekly be sufficent?
Thanks!
Yegim: LOL.. I thought once I got a grasp on this basic stuff that would be it :).. I guess not eh?. :)
Sure looks like you passed the OCLT. Nicely done. Let's try and get a solid CYA number. What's your latest CYA test number? You want to be in the 60 to 80 range for your SWG. Once you have the proper amount of CYA the runtime needed for your SWG to keep the pool chlorinated should decrease. There should be no need to run it at 100%.

macker36 said:
I just tested the CYA and it appears less than30! The tube was full and the dot was just cloudy. (I'm adding more now)

Remember you can transfer that solution back to the bottle and retest a couple of times if you are in doubt. Also be sure the lighting is indirect - not sidelighted or otherwise lit directly. Honestly I have trouble with it and wish there was a titration type test that I could use to verify my results from time to time.

From what I understand it is possible to purchase reference solutions with a set value of CYA in them so you can validate your testing methods - but this seems like a bit of overkill to me.

macker36 said:
I just tested the CYA and it appears less than30! The tube was full and the dot was just cloudy. (I'm adding more now)
Have you confirmed that your pool volume is correct? You could put a half gallon of bleach in the pool after testing. It should raise a 15,000 gallon pool by 2 ppm. If you test and get 5 ppm of free Chlorine and then add a 1/2 gallon of 6% bleach, let it circulate for 30 minutes, then test again, you should read 7 ppm of Chlorine. Best done in early evening when the sun is low and has minimal impact on the Chlorine.

UnderwaterV...thanks for the tip.... Tried it again...same result.
Yeggim.... I think my pool volume is correct... It has sloped walls in deep end which threw me off but I did a few calculations and came up with similar results

macker36 said:
UnderwaterV...thanks for the tip.... Tried it again...same result.
Yeggim.... I think my pool volume is correct... It has sloped walls in deep end which threw me off but I did a few calculations and came up with similar results

You're welcome - just repeating what I have read elsewhere on the forum. My pool is also an in ground with sloped sides and I started with 18-20K volume estimates and have ended up at 13.5K over time. The amount of bleach I add seems to match the changes I see in FC so I think it's within a rational +/- %.

Since you have an SWG I'm guessing that's not a route open to you unless you want to turn it off for a day or so and test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.