Cleaning Intellichlor Cell

TexasTwister

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 9, 2008
Richmond, Texas
I have a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 unit that is telling me it needs to be cleaned. Like everything Pentair, you have to buy additional stuff to take care of the problem. In this case, Pentair Intellichlor Acid Cleaning Kit ($27.00 including shipping). This is actually a PVC cap that screws onto one end of the unit and allows you to fill the cell area with a acid/water mixture to dissolve the scale. Without this kit, it seems the only other way to do this is to pour the mixture through the cell over and over again until the blades look cleaner.

My question is: Is there another way of cleaning the cell blades? Can the cell be removed from the unit and soaked like some other SWGs? I've tried finding PVC parts at Home Depot to screw onto the end of the unit to serve the same purpose as the Pentair kit, but so far it seems that the end of the unit is some odd size so standard PVC plumbing components can't be bought off the shelf. Any help is appreciated.

You don't usually need 30 minutes in 20% acid.

We don't even recommend using such strong acid to clean cells, we prefer our customers to dilute it to 5-8%.

I would still try what Sean suggested. If it fails you only losing couple of bucks.

If you want to go DIY way, you can take a household rubber glove, put it on one end and tie it with a rubber band so it doesn't fall off and then slowly pour acid into it. Just be careful not to spill acid on yourself, if you do - wash it off quickly with large amount of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.