Low borate level

Jun 28, 2012
Minnesota
Upon opening our pool this year we found our salt cell wasn't operating and after a month of trying to get pool chemistry right with pool store we finally determined something else was wrong. Cell was replaced, but since then the borate level has been at 15. I know store works off commission when selling product, so I'm hoping to find other options to get this level up. I've read over many posts but can't grasp the concept yet. They want me to add 45 lbs of the ProTeam Supreme Plus enhancer ~ $200.00, yikes. We have an auto cover and always cover then pool when not in use. Just added 20lbs yesterday, but would like to supplement this with a cheaper option to get this level up closer to 50. This is my second summer maintaining the new pool and had no problems last year. Didn't need to add any water this spring and chemistry was a-okay when closing it last fall. What causes the borate level to drop? I can certainly feel the difference at 15, don't like it. I am a beginner so no techy-talk please, just getting my feet wet!

27,000 gal salt pool, 2010
Jandy aquapure system

I am a beginner so no techy-talk please, just getting my feet wet!
Okay. simply put, borates is not at all necessary for a pristine pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....that's as "techy-talk" as we get except you'll have to be more precise than "A-OK" for chemistry levels.....otherwise, we are simply guessing. :lol:

Thank you for the replies. I've purchased 55#'s of Boric Acid from DudaDiesel. Now I'm looking for a calculation to determine how much of this I'll need. Currently my borates = 15. Enjoy the 40+level. Pool is 28,000 gal.
Is there a calculation on this site to help me? I can only find the one that calculates the 20 Mule + MA chemistry.
Pool store is recommending I add 45#'s of ProTeams Supreme Plus which is close to $200. Is the amount of granular Boric Acid the same, 45#'s? :?

Proteam Supreme Plus is probably the most expensive way to add borate, but that it is pretty close to Ph balanced and available locally surely made it more convenient. However, $200 for a 45# pail is highway robbery. I paid $137/45# pail + tax from my local pool store less than a month ago. Similar prices can be found online with free shipping.

If I had it to do over again, I would go the boric acid route. The DudaDiesel place everyone here is ordering from is less than an hour drive from my home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.