Adding Stabilizer

JulieS

Jun 17, 2012
Michigan
The pool calculator and the HTH chat agent have both told me to add 11oz (by volume) of stabilizer to my pool. The HTH agent said it can take 24-48 hours to totally dissolve when placed in the strainer basket, and that during that time we should not use the pool. Is there any other way to do this so that I don't have to close my pool for two days when it's 90+ degrees outside? I'm currently in range, but I'm at the bottom of the range (25), and just trying to get a little higher (say around 40). Could I add a little at a time over the next few nights so if will dissolve faster overnight, and we can use the pool by day? I'm open to any advise, comments and ideas! Also, I'm using HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner, I'm sure you need to know that!

Thanks in advance!!!
~Julie

There is no reason to stop using the pool while adding stabilizer/CYA, regardless of how you add it. You should run the pump for 24 hours after adding CYA.

We recommend putting the CYA in a sock and putting the sock in the skimmer basket, but there are several other approaches that also work.

I think it all depends who you get on the chat, they ALL seem to have a different opinion! I can only imagine how many people who are new to this, like me, who will enter their test results and get the computers recommendation and follow what it says EXACTLY (like add 5lbs of pH minus for a TA of 160). At least I was smart enough to know that sounded off, so I went looking for help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.