The price of chlorine in the US?

I bought a bunch of 6% for $1 for a 96oz jug (so $1.20/gal). local pool store sells 12.5% for $15/4 gal (so $3.75/gal), cal-hypo runs $58/25 lbs, $95/50lbs, $150/100lbs. don't know about di-chlor or tri-chlor from them.

acid is (per gal) $4.29 at krogers food store, $4 at warehouse pool, $6.50 at leslie's (seriously!!!).

Electricity is 12.5c/kwh.

I was looking for the 12% liquid (I assume)

And was told that I would probably not find it in AL....called the local stores and that seems to be true....maybe I can do a deal maybe with someone in Southern TN :lol:

You can see a cost comparison of chlorine sources here where I took many of those sources online except for chlorinating liquid. A cost comparison of CYA sources is here. Note that when comparing the TRUE cost of these sources, one needs to account for the pH adjustment that is often required.

Our electricity costs are quite high, but vary a lot depending on usage. The baseline rate is $0.11556 per KWh, but goes up to $0.36190 at over 300% of baseline. Baseline in the winter is 12.6 KWh (per day) while in the summer it's 11.9 KWh so it doesn't take a lot to get into the higher tiers quickly. A 2 KW pump running 8 hours per day would consume 16 KWh per day.

Richard

Poolidiot said:
IkeRay said:
Electricity is 12.5c/kwh.

Who is your provider?

locked in a deal with spark energy about 1 1/2 years ago when we first got the house. its a flat rate of 12.5 c/kwh no matter the usage. we used 1018 kwh's last month (according to our bill).

the only problem I have, which has minimal to do with Spark, is that Centerpoint (HL&P) is only required to come by and read the meter once every 6 months, thus the rest is speculation and estimates using last year's numbers. The biggest problems occurred this previous year (our first year in the house) in which they were using the previous year's numbers, the previous owners. we had bills in the $300 range because of those estimations....

now our bill is right about $125-150 in the summer months, dips a little in winter when the gas heater takes over the central air conditioning, but the gas bill makes up for that. I'm about to start written down the numbers myself and verifying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where I work we sell 2.5 gal of 12.5% for $3.99. The carboy is a one time fee of $5.99 and after that refills are just $3.99. We sell a 25lb bucket of trichlor for $59.99 for a distributor's house brand. The name brand stuff is a bit more. We also sell the HTH brand of 10% liquid for $3.29/gal.

Poolsean said:
With the exception of laundry bleach, what is the cost of the chlorine you're buying?
Sodium Hypochlorite = per gallon or 2.5 gallon jerry jug
Tri-chlor = per lb, or per pail.
Cal Hypo = per lb
Di-chlor - per lb.

And Electricity? per kilowatt

Just to compare, all prices in US:

Up here in Canada, sodium hypochlorite is on sale at the corner hardware store at $4.92 US for a 5 liter (1.3 gallon) jug, so that's $3.78 a gallon.

Cal hypo at the local pool store, their house brand, is on sale for $49.35 for 18 kg (39.6 pounds) so that's about $1.25 per pound. It's the 65% stuff.

HTH is a bit more expensive, $57.23 for 15.9 kg (35 pounds) so that's $1.64 per pound, also 65%.

Trichlor is also on sale at the LPS, $39.45 for a 8 kg (17.6 pounds) pail, so that's $2.24 per pound.

Little bags of 70% cal hypo shock, 454 grams (1 pound) of 70% are $2.95.

Electricity costs $0.0402 per kilowatt. We don't have water meters so water is free.

Borax at Walmart is $4.90 a box.

An 8 kg box of Optimizer Plus is $45.

I was shopping for a wireless router at one point, Best Buy US had the exact same model as Best Buy Canada, and *exactly* 40% cheaper.

Interesting, eh?

local pool store sells 12.5% in 5 gallong returnable containers for $10.99 (plus McGreedy.....er, I mean Corzine's 7%) and an $8 refundable deposit.

my electricity rate works out to be $0.176/KWH at summer rates. this includes customer charge, distribution charge, market transition charge, societal benefits charge (w.t.@. is this?), non-utility generation charge, transmission service charge, and basic generation service charge......

local pool store sells 12.5% in 5 gallong returnable containers for $10.99 (plus McGreedy.....er, I mean Corzine's 7%) and an $8 refundable deposit.

my electricity rate works out to be $0.176/KWH at summer rates. this includes customer charge, distribution charge, market transition charge, societal benefits charge (w.t.@. is this?), non-utility generation charge, transmission service charge, and basic generation service charge......

^^ deja vu?

smuggs said:
$150/month in the summer months for electricity in Houston??? That's less than half of what I end up paying in South Jersey. You must have a very efficient pump and air conditioner!

run the a/c at 75* all day (hottest it gets in the house is ~77, coldest is ~74). pump runs ~7-8 hours a day, depending on when I add the chlorine. TV runs almost all day, as well as 2 computers all day. Winter electric bill is ~$80-90 depending on how much we are home, december less than the others...

my mom pays ~$200/month, a/c at 78-80* all day, lights always off, TV on 3-4 hours a day, and no computers in the house, also no pool pump. but she has centerpoint and they charge her 14.5c/kwh up to 50 kwh a day, and 16c/kwh each over.

my electricity is about to get cheaper too, going to do blown foam insulation when I redo the siding with hardy plank, and putting the radiant barrier on. probably drop down to ~$120-130 tops (if even that high) during the peak summer months.

waterbear said:
Where I work we sell 2.5 gal of 12.5% for $3.99. The carboy is a one time fee of $5.99 and after that refills are just $3.99. We sell a 25lb bucket of trichlor for $59.99 for a distributor's house brand. The name brand stuff is a bit more. We also sell the HTH brand of 10% liquid for $3.29/gal.

man, I wish our pool store would carry that, that comes out to the equivalent of ~$1/gal 6%, $.30 cheaper than when I buy it on sale for $1/96oz. any way to find a place that carries things like this? farm supply stores or something?

IkeRay said:
waterbear said:

man, I wish our pool store would carry that, that comes out to the equivalent of ~$1/gal 6%, $.30 cheaper than when I buy it on sale for $1/96oz. any way to find a place that carries things like this? farm supply stores or something?
Actually, the 2.5 gallons of 12.5% for $3.99 comes to

($3.99 / 2.5) * (6.17% / 12.5%) = $0.79 per gallon or $0.59 for a 96-ounce jug equivalent of 6% bleach! Makes we want to have waterbear ship it to me 2500 miles!

The "6.17%" is the equivalent "Trade %" for 6% bleach since the 12.5% figure is in "Trade %".

waterbear, is it really $3.99 for 2.5 gallons or were you quoting a per gallon price? If the latter, then that is equivalent to $1.48 for a 96-ounce jug of 6% bleach.

Richard

sevver said:
gonefishin said:
I get 5 gallons of 12.5% for $9.00 in New Lennox, Il.

$1.29 for 1 gallon of 5.25%

dan

Where at in New Lenox? I go to Great Escape at I-55 and Rt. 30 and get like 4 gallons of 12.5% for around $9 or so? New Lenox isn't a bad drive for me.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The store is Feil Water Treatment Incorporated, 1109 E Haven Ave. Haven Ave is actually part of RTE. 30 (where it makes the bend). I called today to be sure about the price...it's currently $9.60 for 5 gallons. They go thru alot of chlorine so it's never sitting around for very long at all.

dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.