new filter setup what do you think

Jun 23, 2012
Farmington wv
I had a 75lb filter that was just not cutting it. I got a new 300lb sand filter and am using the same 1.5 hp Hayward power flow lx pump. I had a 3/4 eyeball and a running psi of about 9-10 psi. I changed to a 1 inch to lower jet pressure and not have a 5-7 running psi. Is that too low? Also does anyone know the flow rate of that pump. I saw somewhere that it was 62 gpm if that is true I am estimating that I am turning over my water in less than 4 hours. Any suggestions would be good. thanks
I have two valves one in the suction line and one in the return line I also have unions I can take every pipe inside over the winter.
DSCF0001-1.jpg

I don't know why I put this up

DSCF0002-1.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0004-1.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

I am going to run a water line from the house with a valve by the pool so when I need water it is just the flip of a valve. No more dragging out the hose!
DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

Just some shots of the pool
DSCF0012.jpg

Sometimes if you lower the head loss on the return too much, it can create high suction which can draw air into the pump basket. As long as you aren't seeing any air in the pump basket, it is probably OK although it might make the flex line more vulnerable to collapse.

The only thing I have a 1 inch eyeball and get a cyclone in my skimmer. I just cut a short pipe and put it in the skimmer basket and don't have the cyclone anymore. It also did the same with the 3/4 eyeball I just went to a bigger eyeball to lower the filter pressure.

A vortex in the skimmer can sometimes suck in air so you will need to be careful about that.

But with the 1" eyeball, I would say the pump is probably operating very close to the filter flow rate limit. Ideally, you want below 45 GPM for better filtering which I am pretty sure the pump is operating above. With your setup, I would use the 3/4" eyeball.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.