Meeting with pool builder this week, need help

Kappadon3

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
winterville, nc
SO here I am. my wants are in the signature and going to have meeting number 4 with the builder but the first one to start talking about the details. Plan to be building within 4 weeks. TFP has been DOPE!!! as a spectator I feel so much more empowered than my first meeting with the PB. so here is what I need help with. He (PB) has his own opinions and suggestions, but so far i feel comfortable that he is honest enough and willing to discuss other options than just what HE is used to. I asked for a detailed listing of prices, equipment and other attributes of the build (hope to have tomorrow evening). I talked to him about the major system pieces and the pricing that he will charge vs. the prices that I can see on the 'interwebs'. he is comfortable with me getting the major pieces if I can find them (from reputable sources) and he will install. I am trying to be frugal, but not foolish. So folks... for the filter (cart please), swg and pump, where should I go? My sig below has my initial first guess given you folks and previous TFP scouring. Am I on the right track?

What HP for the pump? - 2 speed, but how big?
Cart filter - what size (willing to go bigger since that seems to be the consensus, but how big is norm vs oversize?)
SWG - totally going to donate and become a TFP Supporter, how is the Pool Plot digital RC-35 / SC-36 Cell? too big, too small?

Welcome to TFP!

If you are not going to have any water features (no fountain, waterfall, spa, etc) then a 3/4 HP dual speed should be fine.

For a cartridge filter get the largest one you can afford. 400 or 500 sqft is good. "norm" would be 150 or maybe 200 sqft.

I love the Pool Pilot Digital, but it is a little more expensive than others. If you can afford it, the text display is worth the money.

I have a Hayward Variable Speed Eco Star pump and absolutely love it. I run my pump 21 hrs a day and my electric increase has been about $20 month during the swim season. I like the flexibility of running for extended durations on a very low RPM although you do need to take into consideration the minimum flow rates of your SWG and heater if you plan on one. I also have a Hayward Swimclear C4030 cartridge filter on a 25k gallon pool and it manages the filtration very well. I usually clean out the cartridges once every 2 months. Remember the larger the filter, the longer time between cleanings. I also went with the Hayward T-15 cell and Aqua Plus automation package but really did so because I wanted to have very easy integration between all my units which are all Hayward. The pool and equipment is less than a year old so cant speak to longevity yet but I have been extremely happy with my setup and all the reccomendations and planning were based on the forum members of TFP!

Ok folks, I have updated my signature with my wants since I met with the PB and we talked. He wants me to run a Hayward SWG Goldline Hayward Aquarite with T-CELL-15. quoting 1300 installed with 'added salt'. ALl of the info I asked him about the Pool Pilot Digital, he had a comeback that the GOldline was better. I speaking with the great guys at saltpoolguys.com about the Pool Pilot being able to more acurately measure salinity, he said was BUNK. 'they all do the same thing' WTF?!?!
saltpoolguys.com has the Pool Pilot Digital at about 1000 (with the DOPE TFP discount). What does the congregation say? Pool Pilot Digital or Goldline Hayward Aquarite with T-CELL-15? features, durability, accuracy?
As far as the other key components, he didnt have much to say, my picks are better and cheaper than his standards.

Cazy question from a NOOB. Where does the water comefrom that fills the pool? my hose? or should the PB truck in the water? I ask because our water company charges sewer charges based on water used. Which makes sence for household used, since water out of the faucet typically goes down a drain. But that is not the case with filling a pool

It's usually the owners job to provide the fill water unless it's spelled out in the contract. I'd check with the PB and see what they expect.

Most utilities will waive the sewer fee if you call them and let them know you're filling a pool. It's worth a call to find out.

Kappadon3 said:
Cazy question from a NOOB. Where does the water comefrom that fills the pool? my hose? or should the PB truck in the water? I ask because our water company charges sewer charges based on water used. Which makes sence for household used, since water out of the faucet typically goes down a drain. But that is not the case with filling a pool

just-an-fyi-from-the-water-sewer-department-t48516.html

All you know is what you can buy the equipment for, you don't know what he can get it for. You do know what he'll charge you to install it (assuming you talked about that since he'll allow you to buy and him install). I'd really rather "buy it through him" that way if anything goes wrong with it he will be responsible for fixing it....

Why have you settled on a cartridge filter?

CALLING UTILITY COMPANY NOW!!!
thanks

as far as the equip. He took the list of things that I want (or think i want). and he is going to see what he can get that is comparable (performance, specs, cost) So I feel like we are walking together with the decision.

Cart filter? - From what I have read here and given its functionality and the fact I do not have to deal with back flushing (limited area to discharge that kind of H2O. I CHOSE the cart filter, not settled. If anything I have learned from TFP and other info sources, everyone has their preferences.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of steps are you doing?
Any swim-outs in the "deep" end?
Your pool will be good for volleyball or basketball, thought about holes in deck for posts for volleyball net?
Considered an autocover?
Have you seen the treadtex liner material? It has just the slightest texture to it vs. regular liner surface BUT it makes all the difference in the slipperiness of the steps. IF i could do my liner over i would get it ALL made out of tread-tex and have no border, we slip n slide all over the shallow end trying to play volleyball.
one link page 32 of pdf http://sterling.surfthepool.com/wp-cont ... Liners.pdf
Here is pic so you don't have to open PDF
We chose the tread-tex pattern we liked, and that determined what choices we had for the rest of the liner to get them to match. We went with Blue Granite, it does not look like what it does in the picture below, it looks just like the blue granite liner material.
treadtex.jpg

Kappadon3 said:
Cart filter? - From what I have read here and given its functionality and the fact I do not have to deal with back flushing (limited area to discharge that kind of H2O. I CHOSE the cart filter, not settled. If anything I have learned from TFP and other info sources, everyone has their preferences.

I have a Pentair 420 sq ft cartridge, works well but cleaning the 4 elements is kind of a hassle, and you still use allot of water between soaking in TSP, soaking in acid, then rinsing all of the junk from between the pleats. The acid soak may not always be required but if you want them clean I believe the overnight TSP soak is. Can't say from experience but just changing the valve to backwash on a sand filter and standing there seems easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.