Problem with rust and possible leak.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
The other day I noticed a couple of rust spots on the side of my pool. On closer inspection they are circular areas of corrosion that have bubbled up on this one section of the pool wall. The largest one has a thin stream of water flowing from it. I can't tell if there is a leak in the liner, but I don't seem to be losing more water than to normal evaporation. The sides of the liner are very wrinkled and have been for years. These rust spots are on the low side of the pool, and I wonder if water got behind the liner during a recent heavy rain.

I want to find out:
1. How to fix it.
2. What caused it.
3. How to prevent it from happening again.

The pool is about 7 years old. I would make a warranty claim but my warranty card was returned to sender when I tried to mail it in.

51614de1.jpg

cfd91b6c.jpg

74fa5150.jpg

362ab90e.jpg

I'd run a [s:2s7v8546]OCLT[/s:2s7v8546] Bucket test to be sure it isn't leaking. (sorry I had a senior moment) :hammer:

If you're not ready to change the liner I'd just clean the spots real well and hand sand them and prime and paint them.

I've got one kid in college, one about to start college (who will also need transportation to get there every day), another about to start high school, a 13 yr old mini van with a "check engine" light on, and I have just been informed my a/c system is on its last legs. I don't think I can spring for a new liner right now! I hope that doesn't sound snarky, just a little frustrated with everything going on lately. :oops:

It could possibly be water between the liner and wall. Hurricane Katrina blew thru here and left me with a twisted liner and water between the wall and liner...I have rust spots too. When in the pool, lightly press on the liner/wall in different areas....you'll know if there's damage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.