Help - Need Good Manual Vacuum for Intex Ultra Frame AGP

jlbtjb

Jun 18, 2012
We have had our Intex 16' x 48" Ultra Frame AGP w/ SWG for about two weeks and are having trouble vacuuming all the dirt off the bottom. We are using a Walmart Summer Escapes pump (1075 gallons per hour) attached to an HTH vacuum head to do the vacuuming, but it seems like it is pushing the dirt around instead of picking it all up. I don't know if the problem is with the vacuum head or with the pump not being strong enough or some combination of the two. If anyone has any recommendations to help get all the fine dirt off the bottom I would really appreciate it. We didn't want to use the vacuum that came with the pool because we didn't want to add water to the pool every time we vacuum. Ideally I would like something that is self-contained that I could just stick in the pool, vacuum up the dirt and then clean the filter without having to hook up this extra pump.

jlbtjb said:
We have had our Intex 16' x 48" .... an HTH vacuum head...

That's my size pool too, although I got just the basic Intex, not the ultra, and the same vacuum head.

It works for me using the included Intex pump/filter (rated at 1000gph, but less in real life), although it is somewhat underpowered for the job. A couple of tips that may help: First, I find I need to pop in a clean filter before vacuuming my pool, and even then the pump just barely generates enough suction. Second, the act of hooking up the suction hose and head always lets some air into the lines. I have to make sure to get all the air bubbles out of the system before I start vacuuming, or again I don't get enough suction.

Another thing I've found is that the genuine Intex filters won't filter out the really fine silt, it just goes through the pump and blows back into the pool. However, the cheaper walmart filters do a much better job of catching the fine stuff. The downside of them is that I have to swap the filter out with a clean one every couple of days since they catch more stuff. Fortunately they can be cleaned off with a garden hose and decent sprayer, and used again. I usually get more than a month out of a non-intex cartridge before the accumulated stuff that won't wash out easily (body oils, sunscreen, and such) requires I replace it.

jlbtjb said:
Ideally I would like something that is self-contained that I could just stick in the pool, vacuum up the dirt and then clean the filter without having to hook up this extra pump.
Try searching for Pool Blaster Max. I've seen them, but never used one. It sounds like what you're looking for.

cbgreely, very nicely done video!

In my case, I didn't need an adapter for my pool vac hose (also from Ace ship-to-store) since one of the ends-but only one-fits tightly into the skimmer basket adapter.

I have the 16' round 48" deep Intex ultra frame pool. It does not have the skimmer like my old Intex but only has the pump inlet and outlets. Here is what I rigged up. I purchased a 4" to 3" flexible pipe adapter and a 3" to 2" flexible adapter. I had a 6" piece of 3" pvc and secured the two together. The 4" adapter will fit over the inlet and is snug as is or you can tighten it down with the band clamp. In the 2" end I installed a 2" to 1 1/2 reducer. I should have gotten the 2" to 1 1/4 reducer since my hose seems to be smaller than standard. But I had another flexible reducer at the house that made for a tight fit. Of course if you are vacuuming up large debris then you will have to clean the inlet screen often. But for fine sand and small debris this works well.[attachment=0:3f3a48h1]pool hose.JPG[/attachment:3f3a48h1][attachment=1:3f3a48h1]pool img.JPG[/attachment:3f3a48h1]

Attachments

• pool img.JPG
    pool img.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 396
  • pool hose.JPG
    pool hose.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 333
fast1971chevelle said:
Pool blaster catfish ultra...self contained filter bag, rechargable no more dragging out the hose and losing prime on the pump. It is very simple to use and does a excellent job they have them at menards for 99 dollars........Mike
I'm going to look into one of these. $95 at Amazon.com, price looks right for me, I'm too poor for the robotic style. I have the standard Intex vacuum that hooks into the Intex skimmer. The problem I have is with my water level being below the return port from the filter into the pool, I can't see the dirt on the bottom of half the pool because of the water rippling from the return. I can get half the pool cleaned on the bottom, then the other half shows the dirt I missed when I turn off the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.