patching 3/8" hole in 2" PVC pipe

Mar 21, 2012
By mistake to placed the water temperature sensor in the wrong pipe in my pool system. No I need to patch the 3/8" hole in the pressure return pipe. Anyone have any idea beside cutting and putting on a coupling? I was hoping of getting some thing I can use with a pipe clamp.

bobodaclown said:
How about cutting a coupling in half, gluing, then clamping.
That's one of the options I envisioned doing.

Bama Rambler said:
I'd just thread it and put a threaded plug in it. In fact that's what I did! :-D
Can you elaborate what tools I'll need and what plug? It's a 3/8" hole.

Richard320 said:
How about installing a flowmeter in the hole?

Otherwise I'd cut it and install a coupler or a Tee with a hose bib on it. That makes it easy to drain or to hook up an aerator sometime in the future.
flowmeter. That's also a great idea. Does it fit a 3/8" hole or do I also need another hole.

in threading all you need is a tap and die set for a 3/8" or larger hole and find a plug with the same thread. Same with the flowmeter find out what thread it has and then tap for that thread. When you plug it, use some plumber's tape prior to plugging.

You can use a PVC saddle tee, or the first suggestion of taking a coupler and cutting it in half and using it as a patch over the hole.

The tee outlet of the saddle tee can be centered over the hole, the saddle is then glued and clamped to the surrounding PVC pipe. Then just put a PVC plug in the tee outlet and you'll be all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.