what filter should I get

topher

Jun 24, 2012
toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a 24` by 52" above ground pool.
with an aquaflow 1HP pump
currently I have a small sand filter wich I got from craigslist a few years ago for $50 but the 4 way valve is starting to leak and it does not seem to filter good enough. I have high Iron in my water. I am debating getting a DE filter will that be beneficial for high Iron? or would a cartidge be better? I do not have alot of money and will be saving over the winter months. so it will be for next year.

The choice between sand/cartridge/DE is mostly a question of personal preference. None of them are significantly different in any way that relates to iron.

I recommend you get the largest filter you have room for an can afford. Larger filters are slightly more efficient and can go longer between cleaning/backwashing.

Not to hijack this thread, but when you say get a larger filter, could you give a few examples?

I will have a very similarly sized pool soon and I would like to request the appropriate filter before I get the pool installed, Thanks!

At work at the moment, but the original filter held 5 bags of sand. the one I have now take 100 lbs (2 bags).
I really do not have a preference I dont think I want a cartridge filter, so I would be between DE or sand personaly sand is a more cheaper filter but is the performance better in a DE? I want a clear pool. and no I dont have taylor kit I cant find them in Canada.

Well it would be an additional $400 for the EC-65, $444 for the EC-75. Is that really necessary? I'm on a budget and the wife will blow a gasket if I tel her we need to drop $400 more for a different filter. So I guess I'm asking, will the EC-40 be ok for a little while?

Also, I will have an automatic Chlorinator, if I plan on doing the BBB method (which I am just trying to read about), will I still use the Chlorinator? <---I hope that is not a stupid question, lol

I have a 24 round 48" deep with a 1.5 hp Hayward power flow lx pump and a 300lb sand filter I went up from a 75lb filter. People tell me it is a bit overboard but seems to work very well. I can turn over my pool in less then 4 hours and I run it 2 times a day for 4 hours each time and my pool is very clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the EC50 perflex with the matched LX 1.5 hp pump and all i need to run is a couple hours and my 10,000 gallon are crystal clear. de is great when the water is clean and clear. If you get a swamp, be prepared for serious bumping and changing. This is also an issue with carts and sand but the DE is so efficient, when there is a lot to clean, it will rise 10 psi in less than 30 minutes with a dity DE charge. While this sounds like a "problem" that if you have a large bloom, you will need to babysit the filter for a day, but at the end of that day ( or the day after at worst) you will have a clean pool and not need to filter 24/7 for a week to maybe see a difference.

Tne ability to bump the DE seems to unique and a huge benefit. someone may know of other "bump able" DE systems. I will admit, my filtering knowledge is based on my fights with Intex cartridges and the EC50. That said, I love the sparkly pool I have. Thanks TFP and thanks to Backyard Pools and their excellent LPS support.

Thanks for the quick replies. Even though a lot of this is like learning a foreign language I am hoping once I have the pool and start applying it I will better understand it. Like "Bumping" and "back washing", lol

I will post my final details once I am set up and able to test my water and then learn from there.

I Have a sand filter now and have been fighting my pool for 2 years due to poor education about pool maintenance. I am considering upgrading to a DE filter next year, this is about a $1000 investment. I have a 18' x 36' in-ground pool.

ptaemt911 said:
I Have a sand filter now and have been fighting my pool for 2 years due to poor education about pool maintenance. I am considering upgrading to a DE filter next year, this is about a $1000 investment. I have a 18' x 36' in-ground pool.

I have a DE and my only experience with a filter cartridge was with my spa and my Intex Cartridge A filter with my EasySet (easyAlgae) pool. A DE filter will filter out more debris, faster than a sand filter and many cartridges. That being said, my Perflex filter, which allows bumping to extend media (DE) changes, is a double edged sword. I read so often that the recommendation is to add X, keep your CL up to Y and run your pump 24/7 for a week to solve a green pool bloom.

The "problem" with that logic for my DE system. I have never been able to run my pump for more then a couple hours (2-4) if I have a significant amount of visible debris in the water. The filter pressure will rise (25-50%) and I need to bump. I continue to bump until I get to a point where the filter will run less than an hour before the pressures rise too much and the flow is severely restricted. If I hand Vacuum a dirty floor, I can plug the filter in less than 10 minutes. If I run my Aquabug, she might make an hour if the pool is dirty.

The other side of the sword, the "benefit" of my DE. If I brush the walls and hand vacuum the floor (bumping when needed) I can remove 100% of the debris in the amount of time it takes me to do these tasks. When I am finished doing the above tasks, I am likely to have a clear pool with a little floating debris that I can remove with a 2-hour run time. If it's bad, I might need to change my DE (or cellulose like now) and that takes me 30-45 minutes after doing the vacuum and brush with a dirty pool. I don't really have a backwash system. i physically remove my entire filter from my pump and i just dump my old DE in the green waste garbage can. I use a garden hose to clean the fingers on our front lawn. I just rinse away the extra DE in the lawn. Cellulose is easier to get rid of.

When I have a clean filter, I can normally have a clear pool without floating debris with a 2-4 hour daily run time. My pressures might rise from 14 to 16 in that time and then I bump and it's ready for the next day.

Bottom line, DE will do a faster job than a sand filter but if you get a big bloom, plan on dedicating some time watching your pressures to get your water clear. I can normally do this babysitting of the filter while I am in the back yard doing other gardening duties (weeding, kid-stuff collection, painting the playhouse, working on another outside project). I listen to the pump as much as I watch the gauge. It cavitates when the filter pressures are high.

A poor education about pool maintenance will not be rectified by upgrading to a DE filter. A sand filter is quite capable of keeping a pool clean. If you're fighting your pool with a sand filter, you will be fighting it with a DE filter as well.
That's a very good post, GC. I concur completely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.