Aqua Check Strips vs Intex SWG Readings

Jun 27, 2012
Dallas, TX
My Aqua Chek strip indicates that I have 1950 ppm of salt, I have added 160 pounds of salt to a 6,000 gallon pool. so I added 40 more pounds and now Aqua Chek reads 2450 ppm. and Intex SWG is giving me code 92 HIGH Salt, so I drained some water and added fresh water and the code went away and my Aqua Check reads 1800 ppm. so I added 80 pounds of salt because I am supposed to be in the 2700-3300 ppm range. I am getting HIGH SALT Code 92 again. Are Aqua Chek salt strips accurate?
It doesn't seem to be,I am at 2950 ppm with the Aqua Chek Salt Strips. I had my pool water checked by a pool store and they say I have 4900 ppm. What a waste of money on those crappy Aqua Chek strips. I went ahead and ordered the Taylor Salt Water testing kit

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I wouldn't be in a huge rush to condemn the strips.

1. Pool store tests over and over on this forum prove to be bogus more often than not

2. If your SWG was happy and producing chlorine, why did you add more salt twice?

3. What is the expiration date on the strips?

The reason I added more salt in the first place was because my strips were reading 1950ppm so I wanted 3000 ppm, I also do not know the tolerance level of the Intex SWG. I dont know the ranges of its codes on High salt and Too low salt, I needed to have a standard to go by, because I don't know what the real level is, I added more salt the second time because I wanted to go by what the test strip showed me which was low and I was gonna just say the heck with the High salt code, but it wont chlorinate with that code, I did not know that the first time. I went to the store and had them check and they said it was High 4900 ppm, so I drained my pool water down and added fresh water again and my level shows 1800 ppm on the strips and my code did not come back on until this morning probably due to it being on the threshold of the High end but I don't know if I can trust the strips, because when I have the strip measure 3000ppm the SWG registers a High Salt Code. The expiration date on the strips are 2013

My newest batch of test strips are measuring 800-1000 less than my SWG and they measured 600-800 less than my last batch of test strips. It seems there are a few posts lately with this issue. My first batch of test strips were bought from TFTestkits and the newest batch was bought at my LPS.

As the saying goes if the SWG is happy, leave it alone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.