Solar Panel Set Up

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Hello All:

Well, I finally opened the pool today, woohooo.
Now I have to set up a new solar panel.
I currently have two set up parallel, and I am attempting to go to In Line.

I have Solar Bear 4 X 20 Panels and at each end they are threaded.

Can I glue these threads, you always have to really tighten them to make sure they dont leak, so I am thinking glue them, then use a rubber pipe connector between the two connections, this way, I can take them apart in the fall for winterizing by just unscrewing the rubber pipe connector.

What do you all think, make sense? Or has the sun gotten to my brain.

[Threaded Panel Footer]-- glue in connector --rubber pipe connector----glue in connector [Threaded Panel Footer]

Ideas?

Comments?

Thanks again for all your help,

Rik

I don't like to glue threaded joints. You can do it, but you tend to regret it later.

You want your solar panels to run in parallel. Having water flow from one panel to the next panel is less efficient than running them in parallel.

Many Thanks Jason, I am running them the way you suggested last year, just these bloody threads are a royal pain getting them tight enough so they dont leak. I am thinking, glue them in, then a small piece of PVC 3" long, do that to both sides, then in the middle I will put that rubber pipe connector. Even if I ever have to move them, I will still have that lil piece sticking out which I can connect to.

Your thoughts?

Rik

Are you using teflon paste or teflon tape as a thread sealant?

Teflon paste works pretty good to seal PVC threads. Teflon tape does not...

Maybe give it one try before gluing. But if you've compressed those threads multiple times now, you may have to glue. I would definately glue as a last resort.

Yes, the glue will hold. Just keep in mind that you don't have all that long to get the connection put together. If you take too long screwing it together it is ruined. If these fittings are directly attached to the panels you might want to experiment with some extra fittings to be sure you are ready to make the connection.

My pool installer used outdoor silicone caulk on our threaded connections he just placed a bead around the top few layers of thread and they have never leaked and its removable.

I have been looking at different solar panels and am determined to get a longer swim season this year. I need vertical panels for maximum effect on the roof where i plan to install them and was wondering of I could get some tips on the best panels for a DIY installlation.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pooladdict said:
I am using Teflon Tape, not stripping the threads, just have to really tightne it to stop small leaking.

Think Teflon Paste would work better?

I still am leaning towards glueing, wont hurt anything will it?

I can't think of one instance where I would glue the panels together. If the Teflon tape didn't sufficiently seal the thread then I would try the paste. I have gotten better results using the paste in several instances. The drawback to the paste? It's messy. If you still notice a little water leaking out after the paste you can the clean the connection and try a waterproof caulk on the threads, like snapped suggested. Heck...you could even over load the threads so there's a small glob of waterproof caulk on the outside of the connection too. Let it dry and give it a try. But glue? No...I wouldn't.

good luck!
dan

Well, they are glued in, I do not plan on ever removing them, and if I do, I can always cut the PVC pipe that I have used to connect all panels together, not a leak to be found, and the other day I gained 10 degree's from 52 to 62, when the hottest it got outside was 14 Celcius.

Thanks for all your help and input, its one of the reasons I came here, you can always bounce ideas around.

Now to my next project, a pool house with a dormer. Shocked beyond belief, as I was looking for a half moon window for the dormer, and OMG...I was quoted 499 for a 13 inche window.

Can you say homemade here we come? LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.