New pool owner, DE filter question

10ga

Jun 26, 2012
We bought a house with a 16x32, oval, in-ground pool about 2 months ago. My filter is a Hayward EC-65 DE and I have a question. I have backwashed my filter a couple times already and after 2 weeks since my last backwash, my pressure is building up again. Do I need to take the head off the filter and clean the fingers? If I do, what should I soak the fingers in? Or do I just need to hose them down and put everything back together again?

Glad I found this site, lots of good information.

Thanks

You can just hose down the fingers really well. If you still see a fast pressure rise and the pool is clear you may need to soak the fingers overnight in a solution of dishwasher powder and water.

The pool actually looks great. Being a first time pool owner I was amazed how fast the pool cleared up after opening it. After 3 days it was clear and ready to go for a swim. My set-up is a little different because my pump and filter is below the pool level because it is located inside my basement. If I clean the pump skimmer, I pretty much have to drain the filter and replace the DE powder. It's strange but at least all my equipment is out of the weather and inside the house. After backwashing and recharging the filter my normal pressure is around 12lbs, tonight it was around 18 lbs and the flow didn't seem as strong going back into the pool. We had a lot of people in the pool over the weekend.......I didn't know if that would have something to do with it.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.