Vacation??

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I will be gone for 10 days and i'm trying to figure out what I can do to minimize issues with my pool. I don't have anybody that I can ask to look at it. Is it ok if I increase my FC up from 5 to around 7 or 9? And can i reduce my PH to about 7.0 when I leave?

[EDIT] The following assumes no automated dosing. I missed reading that there is an SWG which should maintain chlorine levels automatically. [END-EDIT]

If you've got full sun, then with a CYA of 65 you may lose around 35% of the FC each day (is that how much you lose over 24 hours?). Even if you raised it to 20 ppm FC, it would drop...

20 ... 13 ... 8.5 ... 5.5 ... 3.6 ... 2.3 ... 1.5 ... 1.0 ... 0.6 ... 0.4 ... 0.3

and usually when it gets very low it may go away completely and not just be a proportional loss. By shocking higher (say to 26 ppm) one can usually go for almost 7 days, but 10 days is a stretch unless you cover the pool with an opaque pool cover.

You might consider having Trichlor in a floating feeder, though that usually doesn't last for 10 days, but if you put it on the slowest release setting it might help for those last days.

Another thing you can do is to add Polyquat 60 in a larger initial dose. That also won't last for too long, but it will still have some remaining even after one week. You'll need to dose with it first, then shock with chlorine, then bring the chlorine back up after a day or two since some of the Polyquat will react with the chlorine.

I do get full sun. But, with my SWCG I don't currently lose that much FC. But, we just started the 100 degree weather and I don't know what will happen to my FC if it stays that hot. How high should I raise my FC? How low should I bring my PH?

If the SWG is maintaining FC, what is the concern? That is one of the benefits of the SWG. If you are worried, just turn the % up a bit. OR just bump the FC level up to shock level with bleach and let it slowly drift down since the SWG will still be adding FC.

I would lower the pH to about 7.2 if it tends to rise.

My main concern was I don't have any expeirence with the pool yet and wanted to know if I should raise the FC up with bleach (to make sure I don't have any problems). I'm just concerned with what % to raise my SWCG since we just started with the 100 degree weather. I currently have it at about 70%. I was thinking I would raise it up to 9PPM with the help of bleach.

I'll lower the PH to 7.2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.