Brand new to pools... please give some opinions

cjcsmt

Apr 23, 2012
All,

I'm contemplating a new pool here in sweltering North Texas. Have gotten a design from a reputable PB. My first questions are these.

1. With easements etc.. I can only swing a 15' X 30' mostly geometric pool. Is this a typical residential pool size or is it really too small to justify the large costs of pools these days?
2. With a pool of this size, my PB has scoped in a 2HP single speed pump. I know there's lots of opinions on pumps but if I have to go with single speed, do you want as much as you can get or would you rather have a smaller one that runs a bit longer and more efficiently. Again, consider this is a smallish pool.

I will likely have more questions but would greatly appreciate your expert inputs as I have yet to sign a contract.

Regards,
C

Welcome to TFP!

15' x 30' is a decent size, many pools are smaller than that.

If you don't have any water features (fountain, waterfall, spa, etc) then a smaller pump is better, preferably a two speed.

Jason,

I don't have a spa but do have some water features that I wanted to run independently so he added a booster pump for those scuppers and rain descents. So, could I do with a smaller pump and be in just as good or better shape?

Thanks in advance.

cjcsmt:

As long as you are in the market for a pump, I would at least look into the 2-speed and multi-speed pumps and do some cost/benefit/payback analysis for your pool using local electric rates. The energy savings can be significant. For example, when you reduce a pool pump's speed to half (50%) of full speed, the kilowatts needed to run it are approximately 1/8 of what it takes compared to running it at full speed. To achieve the same water turnover rate, you need to run the pump for twice the amount of time at half-speed compared to full speed. Accounting for that increased run time at half-speed, your still only using 1/4 the kilowatts to get one turnover of water compared to running the pump at full speed. Multi-speed pumps can offer even more speed flexibility and energy savings compared to 2-speed pumps. But keep in mind, each pool (and its features) is different and "your mileage may vary."

Here are a couple of articles that explain this in more detail:
http://www.swimming-pool-information.com/multi-speed-pumps.html
http://www.articlecity.com/articles/home_improvement/article_5162.shtml

That is a 460 sq. ft. filter, which for you pool volume of ~17000 (I assumed 5 ft average depth), is definetly bigger than our minimum recommended size of 252 sq. ft....so it is a great choice (you really can't go to big on cartridge filters).

I agree with BoDarville that a 2-speed pump is preferred, though I think the power is 1/4 when running on low (not 1/8th)....so it ends up using about 1/2 of the power to turn the pool over.

Thanks guys... but, let me put in another way. For a pool that's only say 13000 gallons, if you choose single speed, is 2HP overkill or will 1.5 or 1 do the job. Keep in mind I have a booster for scuppers and descents.

Thanks!

cjcsmt said:
Thanks guys... but, let me put in another way. For a pool that's only say 13000 gallons, if you choose single speed, is 2HP overkill or will 1.5 or 1 do the job.
Yes a 3/4 hp would generally be a better fit, unless you are doing something out the ordinary with your plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.