shocking

Jun 24, 2012
We had some issues with our salt pump not working consistently so we now have a slight algae problem. Got a new salt pump and now I plan to shock the pool this evening. My question is how long after putting the shock treatment in do I need to vacuum?

For lack of better term- we call it a salt pump around here- but technically its the SWG. I've read some of the pool school articles. That's what led me to hoping shocking will fix our problem. Really not sure what we are doing! lol Thanks

One key piece of information is your CYA level. If it is near zero, then the SWG will not be able to produce enough FC to overcome the loss due to the sun's UV rays. This will then lead to algae growth which adds even more FC demand and the SWG just falls further and further behind.

Get one of the recommended test kits
Post up a full set of test results.
Then follow the shock process ... once you pass the 3 test to stop
Post another set of results and we will get you dialed in.

tator35 said:
It looks so much better today! We are not green! I will get a test kit as soon as I can- we live quite some ways from a town with a pool supply, and we've never had this problem. Thanks
Unless it's a big pool store that deals with a lot of commercial accounts, they probably won't have what you need. Save some gas - go to http://tftestkits.net and order a TF100. You might as well spring for the XL option, too. I heartily endorse the speedstir, too. Testing is faster and more consistent, and more fun. Wherever you are in the US, you'll have it within 5 days. Probably sooner.

And no, I have no financial interest in the company!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.