Finally opening pool - liner got pulled down over winter?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
Man, I really stink at owning a pool. Just don't have the time the last two summers. For the second year in a row, I'm the owner of a frog pond, that I'd like to try to get a couple of months out of. A broken filter slowed me down but I have a replacement and I'm ready to get started. Today, as I removed the skimmer basket cover, I noticed the liner stretched down during the winter. I've attached a picture that shows what I'm talking about (and about 500 of my closest frog friends). You can see the holes from last year's skimmer basket are about 1" below the holes in the pool wall.

Am I screwed here? Can I pull it up without ripping?

Re: Finally opening pool - liner got pulled down over winter

I can't say for sure, it may be possible to stretch the liner back up and reattach the skimmer cover. It wouldn't hurt to try. I think you would have your best shot at it while the sun is shining brightly. The liner should be more pliable while it's hot. Good luck to you!

Samantha_in_AL said:
I can't say for sure, it may be possible to stretch the liner back up and reattach the skimmer cover. It wouldn't hurt to try. I think you would have your best shot at it while the sun is shining brightly. The liner should be more pliable while it's hot. Good luck to you!

Thanks. Would I hurt or help the situation if I drained the water down some? I need to drain it an inch or so to get the return on there (water level rose with recent rain). But should I drain it more before trying to stretch?

Samantha_in_AL said:
Why did you remove the skimmer basket cover and basket?

We're in NH and we've always done that when we closed it in winter. Well, at least my parents did growing up...this is only my third year with a pool and none of my three years have gone smoothly (we have young kids who take up most of our time).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.