green green

Apr 21, 2008
Ok, so I opened my pool up in West Virginia, we have had a few hot days and my water temp is in the 50's. I have had the filter running for a week and although the water was dirty it was pea soup. So I take the cover off last night and her is green pea soup water and my temp is 55 degrees.
So I tested the water a few times before last night and had 3-4 ppm FC and the cya was 45. Where did I go wrong. SHould i had started testing water in the winter? I know the routine about keeping the fc at shock level checking twice daily but I didnt expect green water. Any one else have a similar experience? I'm glad it's still cold here at night and is going to dip into the 30's this week. Any ideas how to prevent this next year? :twisted: :evil:

Thanks for the reply,
I did all that you said on the pool closing post, except I added poly and let the chlorine drop like poly makes FC drop, then bumped up my FC to shock levels, when I measured the FC in middle of April I have no FC but water was super cold so I added a few jugs of bleach and still got green,,,

So ill keep the FC at shock levels till I get improvement.

Do you add algaecide when you open? I should probably wait till I get the water clear before I add algaecide correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.