Where to install SWG on pool/spa combo. Schematic included.

May 21, 2012
Charleston, SC
The following is a simplified schematic of my pool / spa combo:

[attachment=0:3cw97xxb]Pool_Plumbing_Schematic-1.jpg[/attachment:3cw97xxb]

The system is typically in "pool mode", meaning that:
1) Jandy Valve # 1 is 100% open to Pool Suction (sometimes I will crack the Spa Suction open a bit to help circulate the spa water, but not often)
2) Gate vale is open, allowing some water to return to spa - which overflows into the pool
3) Jandy Valve #2 is 100% open to Pool Return, so no return going to Spa Jets
4) Heater is OFF

When I want to use the spa, I go into "spa mode":
1) Jandy Valve #1 is 100% open to Spa Suction
2) Gate vale can be open or closed, depending on how much pressure I want from jets
3) Jandy Valve #2 is 100% open to Spa Jets
4) Heater is ON

I have recently ordered a Pool Pilot Total Control (chlorine only, parts #75003 and #94113). I plan on installing the manifold on the output line from the heater, prior to any valves for the pool/spa returns. Is this correct or should I put the manifold on the Pool Return only? Also, do I need to adjust/ turn off the SWG when I use the spa? I can imagine the SWG kicking into high gear with the 104 degree water from my spa, only to end up over chlorinating...

Anything else I am missing or should keep in mind for my new SWG given this layout?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Pool_Plumbing_Schematic-1.jpg
    Pool_Plumbing_Schematic-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 237
Re: Where to install SWG on pool/spa combo. Schematic includ

Given that layout, you should install it after Jandy valve 2, on the pool return side. Otherwise, as you suspect, when you run in spa mode you'll jack the chlorine in the spa sky-high.

I think I sort of agree with MITS. I was going to say before all the valves (that is how my previous house was). I think you would have to leave the spa on for quite awhile for the FC to get too high. Putting it on the pool only setting would be "safer", although I wonder if the spa would ever be seeing enough FC with only a partial overflow in normal mode that is not after the SWG.

{BTW: The temperature has nothing to do with how much FC is generated ... it is strictly based on run time and % setting}

An aside: You would think that a full automation system including SWG would be smart enough to not turn on the SWG when in spa mode ... or at least have that as an option. Anyone aware if that is indeed a possibility?

Most of the automation systems have a feature that turns down the percentage on the SWG appropriately when you are in spa mode. If you have such an automation system and it is able to control the SWG percentage then the SWG should get installed after the filter and before the T going to the gate valve. If there isn't an automation system, or the automation system does not know how to control the SWG percentage setting, then Melt In The Sun is correct.

Sorry, I stated that my SWG is a "Pool Pilot Total Control", but I should have said "AutoPilot Total Control". I will look through the documentation again for a "spa mode".

What would be the ideal setup for a pool/spa combo? The plumbing in my diagram is all above ground (of course, the actual returns/suction lines are below ground). I would cerrtainly be up for re-plumbing and adding a new pump if there is a better layout available to me.

If you do not have the automation possibility, I would think the simplest would be to move the spa return over to the pool return side after Jandy #2 .... maybe put another 3-way in there to select/adjust pool/spa return. Then the SWG could then be put after Jandy #2 on the return side as MITS and Jason suggested and both bodies of water would see the "fresh" FC instead of just the pool.

The AutoPilot Total Control is not an automation system in the sense we mean here, it is able to be connected to some automation systems (if you had one).

Based on your feedback, I am thinking that it would make sense to implement the following.

[attachment=0:sf1ft2lc]Pool_Plumbing_Schematic(1).jpg[/attachment:sf1ft2lc]

Basically, I would turn Jandy Vale #2 over to Spa Jets when running in Spa Mode, thus bypassing the SWG. When not using the spa (which will be the majority of the time) I will open JV2 to the SWG side, thus returning fresh FC to both the pool and spa. By including the Gate Valve on the Spa Return line, I can also adjust the amount of return to the spa, hopefully giving me some control of the volume of FC going in.

Does this approach make sense? Or would I be better off adding the SWG into my existing setup and manually turning it off or down when I turn on the spa?

Some day I will automate this.... in fact I feel like going out to buy some Arduinos as I type this :)

Attachments

• Pool_Plumbing_Schematic(1).jpg
    Pool_Plumbing_Schematic(1).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 202

The drawing is what I would recommend if you are willing to do the plumbing, with the exception of using another 3-way instead of the gate valve. The Jandy valves last longer, are rebuildable, and still will allow you to adjust the amount of flow to the spa.

EDIT: also make sure the the outlet of the heater goes into the middle port of the Jandy #2 ... the valves function better that way.

The Total Control should be placed before the actuator valve (Jandy #2) as it will only test the water that's flowing through the system, and will feed chlorine and acid AS NEEDED. This way, it will not matter if it's pool water or spa water, the cell will only energize on demand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Is that a feature of the Total Control that it actually has an ORP sensor to adjust the SWG output in real time? So while in spa mode, it just would not produce if the FC levels are adequate?

Poolsean,

I have only ordered the power supply and manifold units (#75003 and #94113), so no ORP senors. From the documentation I am reading, it seems that the tri-sensor only monitors water flow, water temperature, and salt level. How does the system know the level of chlorination?

jb..yes. But you need all the components.
In addition to the 75003 Control unit and 94113 Manifold, you'll need 75001, Pool Chemistry Controller, which has the ORP and pH sensors, and 75005, which is the 15 gal acid tank and pump. Otherwise, it does not know the level of chlorine. When you mentioned the Total Control, I thought you meant the complete package.
With just the 75003 and 94113, your newest diagram is correct

Thanks Sean, that helps a lot. I have to ask though, are the ORP sensors a good idea? I have derived my plan largely from JasonLion's past reviews and other information collected from the forums.... and they all seemed to recommend manual control of the PH because the ORP sensors were a bit "flaky" (my language).

Has the design of the ORP sensors improved recently or have they become more dependable?

I think the ORP tries to determine the chlorine level and then adjust the SWG output. The pH has a different sensor that I think works much better than the orp sensor.

The orp starts to not work well at higher levels of CYA ... And our recommended levels are above where it starts to be unreliable.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.