Is my pump dead?

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I woke up yesterday for work and my pump wasn't running. I didn't have time to mess with it then. When I got home I noticed there was no air in the basket and the motor was VERY hot. I flipped the breaker off (should have checked it that morning, assumed it tripped overnight) and let it cool down. Hours later I reprimed, flipped the switch and nothing. I woke up early this AM and tried again, nothing. It hums very lightly, but that's it.
I was at the end of shocking, now my pool is starting to get all cloudy again :evil:
So, what do you think? Is my pump dead? It's a Hayward Super Pump FWIW
To top it off, my AC died yesterday too. Awesome timing for all of this, supposed to be 95-102 all through Friday

Edit: Is there anything I can do to help keep the water in at least decent condition without the pump?

I had the same thing happen with my Hayward pump a couple years ago...it was quite old. I ended up finding an electric motor shop that agreed to look at it for a small fee. With mine they said that the motor was shot. They replaced the old motor with a new A.O. Smith motor, and reattached it to the pump spindle and housing. All for way less than a new pump from the pool store. They were able to do this in a day or two. As for keeping the water in decent condition, I was told to add bleach right to the water, then brush the pool to stir it a bit. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.